Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF tile saw or HF compound miter saw

Hi all,
    i am a new member but have been lurking for a long time. I had planned to get the base, stand, and concrete hearth done this fall, until a fall from a ladder that resulted in a broken leg and dislocated foot changed those plans.

Anyway, I have read about the use of the tile saw but I also read of someone using a miter saw. While I have other uses for the miter saw, I don't know if would be safe to use in a wet application using an add on water pump. I don't foresee me having another use for the tile saw, other than re-selling it.

Both are on sale right now plus an additional 20% off. I would like to start purchasing some of the supplies to spread the cost out a bit.

Thoughts?

I will I'll have a ton more question before the build, I have nothing better to do other than making plans.

Thanks
    Rick

IMHO, a wet saw is you most effective and safest tool for building a WFO. At a little over couple hundred bucks on sale, it is well worth it. Another option, since you have time, look for a used one on Craigslist.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

There is never anything good on Craigslist around here, at least not close enough to make it worth my while.

The miter saw has many advantages...
      can cut both angles at once without a fixture
      as a wood worker, I have cut millions of cuts on one so I know I can do it safely
      My daughter can use it first to put in her wood floors and I can give it to her when I am done with it so she can use it for her wood crafts

The one big thing that is an unknown and of great concern, electricity and water don't mix.I don't know if it can be used without risk, or at least a risk I don't think I want to take. Unless someone has used one for this purpose and can talk me into it.

You can see which way I am leaning... tile saw, although the other is intriguing.

Comment

Ultimately your choice, we merely point out the pros and cons. FYI, safety does not necessarily mean keep all you fingers in tack, but the amount of silica that comes off firebrick, if not done right, is a health issue to the cutter, those around and neighbors. Good luck.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I have plenty of experience with compound miter saws as well while working with wood. I'm kind of half A double S at a lot of different trades. I'm sure that you have heard of the saying "the right tool for the job". Try harbor Freight. Their 10" wet saw is the best bang for the buck.

just sayin
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Wisrick View Post
            There is never anything good on Craigslist around here, at least not close enough to make it worth my while.

The miter saw has many advantages...
            can cut both angles at once without a fixture
            as a wood worker, I have cut millions of cuts on one so I know I can do it safely
            My daughter can use it first to put in her wood floors and I can give it to her when I am done with it so she can use it for her wood crafts

The one big thing that is an unknown and of great concern, electricity and water don't mix.I don't know if it can be used without risk, or at least a risk I don't think I want to take. Unless someone has used one for this purpose and can talk me into it.

You can see which way I am leaning... tile saw, although the other is intriguing.
            A standard mitre saw is not designed for masonry use. If used without water on the blade it create’s a lot of dangerous dust because it cuts minute shards of fired brick which damage the silia in the lungs.
            http://www.cpwrconstructionsolutions...48/silica.html
            it also tends to stuff The saw motor because it’s air intakes will suck the dust in and damage the motor if used on a prolonged basis. The other issue, if you set up a water feed for the blade is risk of electrocution. The best you can do if you are still insistent on proceeding with this is to soak the bricks well before cutting and wear a decent respirator, not a paper dust mask.
            Last edited by david s; 11-01-2017, 02:28 AM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X