Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build on a Budget

Hello everyone!

I've been scouring the posts and photos on this forum for a few weeks now. What a great community you have here! So much great information and support for one another, it is truly amazing!

Brief background on my situation. I have always wanted to have a wood-fired pizza oven for my family to enjoy. My masonry skills, however, are average at best. I do have 3 teenage sons though that will help with the work, so that will make some of the more difficult physical tasks much more manageable. I only plan to be in my current home for 5 more years before downsizing, so I do not want to build the oven of my dreams right now, knowing that I will be leaving it behind in the not too distant future. So my goal is to build a budget friendly oven that is functional and attractive that we will enjoy for a few years, and that is attractive enough for the future homeowner to want to own and enjoy as well. At the same time, I hope to gain the experience and some of the skills to build that oven of my dreams at my next home. Make sense?

So from what I have read so far, I don't feel that I can realize much in the way of savings on the concrete slab, base and hearth. Those need to be strong and constructionally sound. So my thought is that the oven itself is where I need to be more efficient with my money.

I believe that a cast dome would be my best approach with the above goals in mind. Does that sound correct?

If a cast design is the best approach for me, are there any material trade-offs that I should consider that will not impact (or moderately impact) functionality?

Is there a particular design or topic thread on this forum that I should reference to achieve the above?

I am probably a month or more from actually beginning this project (plus getting homeowner association approvals which just dawned on me!), but i would like to get a clear vision as soon as possible so that I can begin to plan, lay things out, create a materials list, etc. Any help that you can provide would be tremendously appreciated!

Thank you,
    -RJ

A dense home brew cast oven using perlite or vermuclite/portland mix as floor and dome insulation with is probably you most budget friendly. I have seen several steel stands (still need to done right with the correct crossbracing) and even a few wood stands (if the oven is smaller in size). Then at least the stands are transportable. I suggest you purchase the Forno Bravo eplans and read up. It will give you some basics on oven design and operation (brick base) but still a good overview, only a couple bucks. Then research DavidS threads and posts, he is our casting guru. Don't consider those YouTube gymball p or vrete dome ovens, they are not in your best interest. Still need a fire brick floor though.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thank you UtahBeehiver. I will check out the DavidS threads for the best approach to casting my oven. Thanks again!

Comment

Did you get to a conclusion Penn? I'm just about up to the basic concrete layer of the hearth and figuring out how best to spend my limited budget! I have a stack of clay bricks that may get used! I may spend a good proportion on underfloor insulation, using FB board with fire brick on top. The dome is the issue.

Comment

Working...
        X