Tile saw for cutting brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile saw for cutting brick

In preparation for my pompeii oven project, I am going to acquire a wet saw. There are some saws that are marketed as tile saws that will cut up to 2-1/4" thickness, are in the range of 1-1/4 horsepower and are wet saws. These would be okay for cutting firebrick, I presume?

These are less than $150, as compared to paver saws that are a slightly bigger and cost anywhere from $500- $1000. Will the tile saw suffice?

Re: Tile saw for cutting brick

I forgot to mention they are 7" blades, as opposed to 10" blades common to other masonry saws. I have some experience with stone and brick, but none with firebrick, I'm afraid.

Comment

I had planned on buying a bigger wet saw to make my oven but settled on a workforce wet saw from HD. It worked fine and I used it again to tile my bathroom this spring. I cut all of my bricks in half but used a grinder with a 5 inch diamond blade to fit each brick as I went along. Some angled cuts were more difficult because of the tile saws blade size but they can be accomplished if you move the brick around.

Cheers, Versachi
      "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Firebrick (regular low duty type) is one of the easiest forms of masonry to diamond cut. A lower powered 7" wet saw will cut it easily. The problem is that you can't cut all the way through a brick on one pass with the seven inch blade. You will have to flip each brick and re-cut. This is fine if you are just planning to cut bricks in half and do the odd bit of shaping for the entry. If you are planning to do more cutting than that, you want to spring for the ten inch saw. Harbor Freight has a inexpensive one that many of us have used successfully, even for quite elaborate projects.

Whatever you do, don't buy the seven inch tile saw that is like a little table saw with the blade riding in a tank of water underneath. This saw throws all the mud right up into your face. You have to hose your self and your goggles off after every cut.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Ya I got a little wet doing mine but found no need to flip and recut each brick as the cut edge is on the outside of the dome. One pass through and a tap of of the hammer will snap the uncut portion of the brick. That said, if I lived in the states I would probably have gone and bought a saw from HF. I think you guys can get them pretty cheap as dmun said.

Cheers, Versachi
          "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

My 2 cents or should I say ~$59.

I bought the HF "dry chop saw" with a 10 inch blade. When I wet my bricks before cutting it didn't kick up too much dust. On windy days I just cut my bricks dry - made sure my boys/neighbor kids weren't around.

I did wear a respirator with the canister filters. I don't recommned using the dry cut method without a good respirator.

Anyway if money is tight then this option might be something to consider.

Dick

PS I just cut two of those large landscaping bricks for a neighbor.

Comment

I actually have a chop saw, but didn't want to deal with the dust. I looked at the Workforce and another brand the other day. They look like thy might be winners. Advertised to cut 2-1/4" depth.

Comment

Originally posted by cuda View Post
                I actually have a chop saw, but didn't want to deal with the dust. I looked at the Workforce and another brand the other day. They look like thy might be winners. Advertised to cut 2-1/4" depth.
                I you just have a regular chop saw I would not recommend just dropping in a masonry blade and cutting...the dust will eat up the motor...I would recomend that you go for the HF 10' wet saw...it's about $200...and their blade is not terrible either...we have used it for lots of brick cutting and tile cutting...the best part is if you don't want to hang on to it you could probably sell it pretty easily in classifieds or on Ebay...
                All the best!
                Dutch
                "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Cuda,

I bought the Harbour Freight Brick/Tile wet saw. Best money I have spent on my oven project.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Guess I'll have to keep looking for this elusive 10" wet saw from harbor freight for $200. I searched their website and didn't see it, but then again, I miss lots of things. Thanks again, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by cuda View Post
                      Guess I'll have to keep looking for this elusive 10" wet saw from harbor freight for $200. I searched their website and didn't see it, but then again, I miss lots of things. Thanks again, folks.
                      I think there are two different Harbour Freight websites... I read something about the company splitting in two.

You might have better luck visiting a store if there is one near you.
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

It does not appear when you do a "wet saw" search on the HF site; a "tile saw" search wil bring it up. Item number is 95385-4VGA. It appears their long standing sale is NOT currently going on - the price is currently $249. I bought mine over a yr. ago "on sale" for $199 and $29 for the blade.

RT

Comment

Here is a link...unfortunately current price is higher than the $200 I mentioned but sometimes is on sale...
                          Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
                          Best
                          Dutch
                          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Harbor doesnt always show sale prices. call the store and ask when it will be on sale again. If you get the right one on the line they will do it up right and let you have it for the sale price. At least I have had good luck with that here.
                            Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
                            like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Thanks, guys. That's probably the one I'll get.

Comment

Working...
                              X