Painters Tape!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painters Tape!

I had a 41 year old firepalce fire box to repair. The wrong mortar was used which had popped the faces off of the firebrick closest to the fire. When repalcing brick in a standing structure, some pointing has to be done. Replacing brick in general as well as pointing can be messy if you are not careful. I had some wide painters tape on hand and decided to give it a try. I then thought of some of the problems that some are having on the forum with keeping the face of the brick clean. So, I decided to take some pics. It took only a few minutes to prep the new brick and surrounding brick. They must be clean and dust free as always for the mortar to bond. The same is true for painters tape. It turned out fairly good and clean up was a breeze
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Gulf: Nice job!
    I have a similar situation with my 1720s fireplace. I cannot even start to think where to start? Do I use firebricks? Do I use old bricks? Do I use homebrew mortar, or just 3:1:1 sand:lime : cement ?

Comment

300 years, wow! If it were mine, I wouldn't touch that frebox. From the pics, I only see a maximum of about 1" erosion into the brick. A lot of that could be poker damage Those brick are probaly about 4" thick with another 6" to 8" behind that. With a 300 year chimney, I would be more concerned with inspecting the flue to make sure there was no cracks caused by settling over the years. It is probaly ever bit as sound as it was 300 years ago. But, only a thorouh inspection can tell that for sure.

I used the homebrew to do the brick replacement above. The homebrew wont swell and is suitable for large mortar joints.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        Those brick are probaly about 4" thick with another 6" to 8" behind that. With a 300 year chimney, I would be more concerned with inspecting the flue to make sure there was no cracks caused by settling over the years. It is probaly ever bit as sound as it was 300 years ago. But, only a thorouh inspection can tell that for sure.

I used the homebrew to do the brick replacement above. The homebrew wont swell and is suitable for large mortar joints.
        The house was surveyed and the chimney is clear of any cracks. I have uncovered few old bricks from a second hand seller. Do you still think it is unwise to replace the bricks?

Comment

Did the surveyer (I'm assuming inspector) also give you an opinion on the firebox? Did the inspector give you an all clear to use the fireplace? Pictures alone can't replace an in person expert inspection.

That said, do you want the repairs to be a "period restoration"? Wether a restoration or just repairing to be able to build a fire inside, you will not be able to replace them all at once. You will only be able to strateically remove and replace them a few a time.

If your intentions are not a restoration but just to get it usable, then parging may be your best option.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            If your intentions are not a restoration but just to get it usable, then parging may be your best option.
            The surveyor 10 years ago told me that there is no crack in the fireplace. My intention is only to use the fireplace. Perhaps I can clad it with slim firebricks that are used inside cookers!

Comment

G’day
              My Nan lived in an old house in the bush. The open fire place and chimney made of sunfired clay bricks. They were mortared with lime mortar ( you could see chips of shell from making of the lime in the mortar)
              Once a month she would clean out the open fireplace and paint it with lime dissolved in water. It protected the bricks from heat and cause it was white reflected the heat better. After a month it was again smoke stained and cracked a pieces missing so the process was repeated and it was it was painted again.
              Dont know the practices were for your fireplace but I wouldn’t mind betting it would be that dissimilar.
              Be worth investigating?
              regards Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Good point Dave. Lime mortar was used a lot over here as well. I reclaimed the brick that I used on my house and the exterior of the oven. All were previously laid with lime mortar. I've also seen some old fireplace parging that I think was basic lime mortar.

Comment

Hi Dave, my chimney is undoubtedly made of lime. I am unsure if it was 1:3 lime to sand or perhaps 1:4 !!
                  In fact my entire house is predominantly made of lime mortar.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Alomran; 10-26-2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

G’day
                    yes that a pretty grand house congrats..... just ouzes history
                    regards Dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                      G’day
                      yes that a pretty grand house congrats..... just ouzes history
                      regards Dave
                      +To be honest, being a practical guy my following statement may reflect an ignorance, however being an architect taught me that those period houses were designed as an animal dwelling for horses and sheep. Georgian houses were built in a certain style and certain ceiling heights either to reflect a grandeur wealth and illusion or as well as to get rid of the smoke and toxic gases generated from the fire places that they used to run all day long by the poor servants. The Georgian glass windows were designed that way as their glass manufacturing skills were limited to small approx 20 x 15cm glass panels.
                      Their houses were built of bricks as they dug out pits for their basement houses where they had their kitchens and stored all sort of food and dry meat, then they made bricks out of the excavated dirt. Everything had a practcal purpose. Yet we see many people mesmerized by the past unaware of the then technology of that day that imposed to build it in this way. Chimneys were built ion either sides of the houses as they are structural pillars that stable the structure of the house under extreme stress generated by wind and heavy snow accumulated on the roof.
                      Those infatuated by the past architectural styles are hanging on the aesthetic of the past that little do they know is an embodiment of the technology of that past period, yet ignoring the technology of our day.
                      My house was extremely uncomfortable to live in, until I carried out changes that made better, but remains uncomfortable and impractiocal as a modern house!

Comment

Working...
                      X