Please help with the pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help with the pizza

Hi ...i am opening a new restaurant and i have a problem with my pizza not being cooked in the area after the crust it stays leathery ...i tryed the recipe and it worked three months ago now near restaurant opening its its having this problem i think people will not notice but the taste is so different with it also no matter how much it stays in the oven it always gets soft under it i.e. i cannot lift the slice without it sloping down at the point...my recipe is 6kilos of flour 4.2 kilos of ice and water 70 percents ice to water ..
    X
    325grams of sugar 19.5 grams instant yeast with improver 117 gram of salt
    X
    195 grams of oil ...i and the water slowly ..i ball them and put the balls in the fridge 24 hours i cook the pizza in gas oven 370_400 celsius...even if i don't put toppings i still have the same rubbery problem in the area after the crust

What is your cooking time?

Comment

Originally posted by Mopizza View Post
      Hi ...i am opening a new restaurant and i have a problem with my pizza not being cooked in the area after the crust it stays leathery ...i tryed the recipe and it worked three months ago now near restaurant opening its its having this problem i think people will not notice but the taste is so different with it also no matter how much it stays in the oven it always gets soft under it i.e. i cannot lift the slice without it sloping down at the point...my recipe is 6kilos of flour 4.2 kilos of ice and water 70 percents ice to water ..
      X
      325grams of sugar 19.5 grams instant yeast with improver 117 gram of salt
      X
      195 grams of oil ...i and the water slowly ..i ball them and put the balls in the fridge 24 hours i cook the pizza in gas oven 370_400 celsius...even if i don't put toppings i still have the same rubbery problem in the area after the crust
      For wood fired pizza, because the temperature is higher and the cooking time shorter (usually around 2 mins) both oil and sugar in the dough mix are better left out because they are both browning (burning) agents.Also reserve your bread improver for bread.
      I've never heard of adding ice to the dough mix, is there a reason for this? I would think it would slow down the fermentation process,

Too much wet stuff on top, typically too much tomato sauce can make the pizza a bit soggy in the middle. Also try around 7% semolina in the dough, it helps give the crust more crunchiness.
      Last edited by david s; 02-12-2021, 04:01 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi petter
        IT takes six minutes in the oven Hi David ive been told and shown that ice gives better elasticity and smooth finish to the dough
        I add all the ingredients except the oil which i add to the end with three kilos of ice and water..then gragully add the rest as needed i need the dough for 30 minutes +
        ​​​​​​​i used to ball them and put in the fridge and it rises very good in 12 hours but now its taking two to three days for the dough to rise

Comment

The low temperature inhibits fermentation. That's why it takes so long.

That feels like very long time for such temperature. I would have expected 3-4 minutes tops. Where do you measure?

Try lower the hydration to 55-60 % for a test. Use flour to dry out the skins while stretching. Knock it off before toppings goes on though.

Comment

As I understand it, you have a new oven too? What about the quality of the flour? Maybe not that flour. Or the wrong oven temperature. Measured the temperature in the oven? How well it keeps the heat.

Comment

I'm no expert, only been doing this a couple of years, but I can tell you what I've gone through in the learning process. Which I am still learning.
              Peter Reinhart's recipe is hard to beat and I do use the olive oil in it but no sugar. To get his 50 - 55 degree dough temp, I pretty much have to refrige the flour and use ice water. It's also a fairly slack dough (almost 70% flour/moisture ratio) so I don't think you are going to pick it up and twirl it. (I'm not that good anyway) I find it takes closer to 10 minutes to develop, do the little pull/window pane test. After at least a 24 hour stay in the fridge, it's sits out for a couple of hours before using. He explains all this if you find HIS recipe, I have his books. Since I'm a home user, I don't make enough to buy 50 pounds bags of 00 flour and too expensive to by small amounts with the shipping, it goes stale before I can use it up. I do use Bob's Red Mill Semolina for handing and shaping the dough, and to use on the peel. We don't like cornmeal. KA bread flour is what works best for me. My oven is a 36" diameter floor, homemade castable refractory with a 2 1/2 thick floor I built. I heat it up to probably 1,000 degrees F initially to get it saturated with heat. Mine is very well insulated and retains heat extremely well. I can cook pizza that night and biscuits the next morning without having more heat. I have a thermocouple in it but quit using it a long time ago after a learned a little about what I was doing. If I'm doing a real thin crust pizza, I keep it up over 800 - 900 degrees and it takes about 1 1/2 minutes to 2 minutes max. Any longer than that and you will burn the bottom big time. The style my family seems to like have a thicker crust and bunches of toppings. Those I find I have to keep the temp down to around 600 - 650F and cook for three to four minutes. With those the trick is finding the best spot in the oven. Too close to the fire/coals and it will burn the edges before the center gets done and you have to keep it turned. You have to learn just how much of a fire you need to keep going also, it's not a lot, about one 3" diameter stick with a fair amount of flame going and not a huge pile of hot coals.
              I could easily cook two 14" pizzas in mine at a time, but I'm not good enough at getting the back one turned to do that, so I stick with one and keep them all on pretty much the same spot on the hearth. The very first one, might be have a little black scorch on the bottom from the initial heat but the rest do just fine if in the same spot.
              Now, like I said, I'm a long, long way from considering myself an expert and those that are might be laughing their butt off about now, but this is what I find works for me.

OOOPPs I just noticed your gas oven comment. Have absolutely no experience with that. I don't even know if they heat the same as a WFO so I guess a lot of what I posted you can throw out the window. I wouldn't think they would concentrate as much heat in the hearth but again, don't have a clue.

I will mention though, sweep the hearth every time before sticking another pizza in, or you end up with the burnt flour left of the hearth that comes off the peel sticking to the one you put in.
              Last edited by BenKeith; 02-20-2021, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X