Technical sophistication challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical sophistication challenge

This was buried in a thread (from Carlo)

...... / This gives me the opportunity to bring to our table discussion regarding the project plan that in my opinion could provide more details/examples for future builders. Based on what I have been reading on the forum and by direct experience ....

"Supporting Arch" like Les' oven, the row of bricks hangs on the arch. According to different discussions I had with some masons in Italy, that is supposed to be the "right" way, even though the other solution, the bricks pushing", works as well. I already tried to bring up this discussion but I was shut down and didn't see much interest. I think that with this forum we achieved a level of technical sophistication that we should take this as a challenge and provide more detailed options for new comers. This will keep the forum at higher level and always interesting which differentiate us from a chat line. Just my thought....see what everybody thinks, thanks

Carlo, can you clarify what you're thinking here? Is this a discussion of different ways to do this connection? I certainly like the looks of the Les connection but if hanging the bricks on the arch is equivalent, I might go that way since no one will see this brickwork!
    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Re: Technical sophistication challenge

I know this question was addressed to Carlo, so Carlo I will apologize for the slight hijack. I will also say in advance that from both a technical as well as aesthetic point of view I really like the way Les has handled that part of the build.
    SJ I think the difference in these two options from a technical point of view really makes little difference if any. The idea of the bricks "hanging" versus "pushing" is unique in the sense that neither case changes the fact that the thrust of the dome bricks above the arch still "push" against the top of the doorway arch and then that thrust is transferred through it down to the floor. I think a more inportant characteristic is where in relation to the center of the oven floor this doorway arch rests because if it is either too far outside or too far inside the integrity of the dome bricks above it will be compromised. The line of thrust still needs to meet in the middle one third of the arch. It is for this reason that I will support the use of fuller length bricks for use in the doorway arch rather than half bricks.
    This is a link to a great site about Vaults Arches and Domes that had been posted on other threads but I think is equally appropriate here.
    Auroville Earth Institute is a research, design and developing agency for vaulted structures, construction of various Vaults, Arches, Domes (VAD).
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
    X