Indoor oven stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor oven stand

I have recently removed a combo wood/gas fireplace in my kitchen that was at counter height and I am going back in with a pizza oven. When pulling out the fireplace, i found it was well insulated and was supported by a wooden stand that I have removed. The chimney and gas supply all have the correct specs. But I am not finding anything anywhere on what indoor stands should look like. My floor joists are 2x12 and can support a ton of weight but I am a bit worried about using block. One of the pictures on this site was our first inspiration for starting this project but I am not finding anything about how to build a proper base/stand indoors. Can anyone help? All the pictures of indoor ovens show is the finished product, but I would love to see some pictures or videos of the project in process.

Most stands for ovens on decks employ a welded, galvanised steel stand because of the weight issue. I presume that would be your best solution. If you can estimate the weight of the oven a metal shop would be able to fabricate a suitable stand. You may also need to strengthen the bearers or piers that support it.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I personally would avoid galvanized indoors since you really don't need that level of protection from corrosion and galvanized can't be welded (well) so it would either have to be stripped off and repaired or galvanized after fabrication, neither of which is a great option. If you're going to have it visible, I'd go with stainless (expensive) or some sort of coating (like paint or epoxy) over a hollow structural steel weldment (cheaper and easier) depending on what look you want.

Comment

It really depends on the type of oven you wish to install. If it's a nice stainless steel gas fired or electric appliance then a normal countertop should be fine. A 1m diameter full brick Pompeii will be more of a challenge especially since you want to support it over timber floor joists. Without detailed information, I would suggest you engage a professional builder or engineer to do the Calcs based on the size, weight and floor supports. Just for reference a 2 X 12 joist will be way overloaded with a ton of weight on it.

Comment

Working...
        X