Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My turn for Stucco questions.

Wow Sarah, some great info on stucco!
    I have been working with the "Vieux Carre Masonry Stucco" you described in your thread. It has been easy to get the type S lime and work with it. It is drying well and we are starting the second coat on the garden wall. No obvious shrinking at this time. And we have had some really hot days. I have not however used it on the oven dome so can't testify that it will work there. Don't know why not! Plan to do the 3 coats there too when the time comes.

Comment

Thanks Annie - it's great to hear from someone who's actually used one of these home blends that they work well! If it ever stops raining here, and life stops making other plans for me , I may actually get to stucco my oven stand.
      Good luck with the wall and don't forget to post a photo or two.

Comment

Here is a pic of yesterday's work. This is actually coat #3 of plaster. #1 was adobe, #2 the scratch is to the left and right of center and #3 is at center. One more coat to go to add color in that area. I know you really can't see if it is cracked or not but it isn't. Smooth too!
        The second pic is of some color test patch where I inlayed some tile to see how the stucco would work around that....

Comment

Originally posted by thebadger View Post
          I agree,

I'm having trouble finding stucco in Cincinnati.

Dick
          Go to the pro desk at HD and they can order a quikrete stucco for you. No minimum quanties at my store.
          RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
          Oven Thread

Comment

Thanks RC.

I check with HD and see what they say. I still might end up using what I can find or mixing my own.

Dick

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
              Go to the pro desk at HD and they can order a quikrete stucco for you. No minimum quanties at my store.
              Same in Dayton, Ohio.

I mixed my own following the ASTM spec for a high absorption material like cmu's and its one of the same formulas they also list for a metal base and low absorption material base like tile:

Scratch: 1 part portland cement, 1 part Type N masonry cement, 2.25-4 parts sand.
              Brown: 1 part portland cement, 1 part Type N masonry cement, 3-5 parts sand.
              Finish: 1 part portland cement, 1 part Type N masonry cement, 1.5-3 parts sand.

I have only done the first two coats, averaged the sand qty, and its solid. I used Quikcrete's liquid color on both coats to determine how much color per batch to use. They will be covered up with the finish coat and if my finish coat cracks or chips there won't be a large contrast in color between the coats.

Out of the 7 different ASTM mix designs, 2 call for lime, 2 use a plastic cement, 1 calls for just Type-N, 1 calls for Type S or M, and last one is the one I used.

Comment

Did a Stucco Sticky ever get posted?

I'm now ready to stucco the BenjaMia Bakehouse Oven.

One comment on cracking (crack management) is that I've seen render being applied in Spain and they will constantly be working the surface with a damp sponge or brush. I think as the surface material dries (cracks) this process continues to "refloat" the cement to help fill the cracking. Might be a technique to try if your stucco starts to crack.

What is masonry cement anyway?...portland and additives?
                Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...what-4417.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...made-4418.html

links to Sarah's posts....thanks
                  Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Jim - If you use an acrylic stucco, there should be no problems with cracking. I used a product made by Dryvit.

Les...
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I've had success with the acrylic stucco directly on top of the vermiculete. The acrylic material will flex / expand a lot more than Portland stucco. But don't be surprised if you get crack anyway, there is a lot of thermal expansion when you fire an oven up to 1000 degrees.

Comment

My experience with stucco and dryvitt is somewhat limited as I've only only applied it a few times. But, I am around professionals using these materials a lot and I'm very nosy. I've questioned the competent installers extensively and there are a few items of note.
                        A breezy day with low humidity, hot or cold, cures and drys any of these products too quickly. An overcast moderate day is ideal. The plasticized dryvitt products are well worth the expense and considerably outlast regular stucco.
                        The question that makes these guys dodgy regards the waterproofing ability of these materials. I've never been able to get a clear answer on that. Ask sometimes and see how nervous they become. The importance of felt paper is always emphasized. Too bad we can't use any low temp barriers.

Mark

Comment

Im a new guy, but this info may help. I will be using Quickrete Surface bonding Cement. Just mix with water, You can add an acrylic fortifier for total waterproofing and you can also add all their standard colors to the mix also.

I called Quickrete and they claimed as long as there is only minimal heat from the dome it will not affect the cement any, also this cement is mixed with fibergllass strands and that will "keep it from cracking" according to their rep.

I am currently using it to stucco the base, its easy to work with and leaves a nice finish. It was made for making dry stack walls,,, you just stack em, and coat em, they claim it has more strength than a mortar joint.

Well, Thanks for listening and hope this info can help someone !!!
                          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

excellent thread! my turn:
                            I purchased 3 bags of this:
                            Quikrete Stucco Finish Coat
                            I was planning to apply this in a 1/4 inch layer directly on the perlicrete dome and stand blocks.

Next step of my plan was the Damplock Concrete Waterproofing Paint.

As last step I planned some latex/acrylic paint for the color.

Do you experts think this is a sound idea? Are 3 80lb bags enough?
                            my own Quest for Fire:
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/leckig/

Comment

Make sure you drive out all the moisture from the dome and vermicrete using the firing schedule, before you apply the stucco, then wrap the stucco layer up for a week to give it strength. Then do about 10 firings before applying the waterproof layer.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

so you think using the finish coat directly (no brown nor scratch coat) should be fine?
                                my own Quest for Fire:
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/leckig/

Comment

Working...
                                X