Door seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door seal

I have built my oven using a pre-fab core with a nice iron and refractory door with a window in it. However the door does not have any seal.

I think I'd like a seal on it. Any suggestions? I have two ideas so far:

1. a bead of high-temp. sealant around the door, cover the bead with thin PE foil, shut the door, allow the sealant to set, then peel the PE foil. Question: how hight-temp is hi-temp with a sealant?

2. Buy some oven seal rope and stick it to the door. Question: what to stick it with? Question 2: will the adhesive survive the hight temperature?

Or perhaps I don't need a seal after all?

Just thinking loud

Thanks in advance,
    W.
    "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Re: Door seal

my oven rope came with a tube of adhesive rated to 2000 degrees- I don't know where you might get some, but it exists.

I'm not familiar with PE foil, sorry. I do think that having a seal on your door is probably a good idea if you want to retain the heat longer.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Thanks for this Elizabeth, I'll look for a rope with adhesive included

PE stands for polyethylene - a plastic foil which is not PVC - it is a bit like teflon in that it is non-stick, so that I'll be able to peel it off the seal without damaging it.

Best wishes,
      W.

Comment

If you can find a sealant that will get hard and stay that way, or at least not get sticky again after application, then I think that your idea to use the PE foil to form it exactly to the inconsistencies of the door jamb sounds like a great idea!

Travis
        TravisNTexas

Comment

Funny this should come up because I have been thinking the same thing. I planned to use the braided fiberglass rope but I am unsure if that would be hazardous around the food. If so, I thought about glueing it to the door instead of the oven lip since the door is removed when cooking. Either way, the glue would be high-temp furnace caulk available at any good hardware store - not HD. It is rated to 2000 degrees.

dusty

Comment

Here we have Tractor Supply Company and they sell wood stoves and accessories and have a package of the door seal rope that comes with an adhesive(usually made with sodium silicate)for it...I would definitely suggest attaching to the door rather than the oven...if you can't find any I can probably get it and ship it to you for very little cost...or we can swap something out that I can't get here...
            Best
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks Dutch, I appriciate that. Fact is, I already have the rope, I just haven't yet decided where to glue it.

dusty

Comment

Thanks for all the encouraging advice.
                I have similar thoughts about fibreglass (or other) ropes, which is why a moulded seal came to my mind.
                What a forum!
                All the best,
                W.

Comment

Working...
                X