dome height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dome height

hello, i am trying to figure out some information, on the pompeii plans for a 42" oven, it says that the inside height is 15.5" , i read on the forum that someone has a height of 19", is this internal or overall height? thanks, marco

Re: dome height

Marco,

Are you talking about the dome height? A true radius will put your 42 inch oven at 21 (internal). There are some that built another version that flattens out at the top (can't recall the name of it). You may be confusing the dimension with the entry height.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Marco, I've read that most 42" ovens are 21" at most, and many are 19-20". It seems many keep the 21" diameter an there is no harm in bringing it down an inch or 2 near the top as you are finishing. I'm shooting for 19-20" wherever it ends up.
      Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Hi. We are building a 42 incher with a 21 inch dome height. I expect it to sag a bit, hopefully not much, when we fire it up as we are using an unusual mortar, a mix of local soil (clay/sand) and a sugar cane derivitive. When heated the mortar turns to a ceramic like material, we are told, and the end result is a good surface. I assumed dome height to be rather important for best results, but understand that under 21" is better than over.
        Mark

Comment

I think what you might be referring to is what some call "neapolitan" versus "tuscan" oven...the neapolitan apparently has a flatter shape whereas the tuscan is more round...I don't believe that there would be a tremendous amount of difference in the cooking characteristics of the two...for a newcomer to oven building the more gentle curve of the tuscan, whose dome might be called semicircular, would be easier to build...
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

thanks to all, yes i was a little confused about the internal height, and especially on the first course on the dome, some start with a 9" and some with half brick, wich is better ?

thanks, marco

Comment

I think, though I might be wrong, the plans call for half-bricks for a Tuscan style or a vertically standing whole brick (side facing in) for a Neopolitan oven. I recommend you do some more research on this site, so that you are certain as to the type of oven you want, and what you want it to do. Once you're set on that, then your question becomes moot.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Also look closely of the photos of other builds, as some have built the dome on top of the floor and others have built the dome around the outside of the floor. If you use a full brick first course, but are putting it around the outside, internally, it's the same as just using a half-brick soldier course (if that makes sense).

Comment

thanks to all, i have a better understanding of what i got to plan, i will make my choice and i will post it .ciao.

Comment

hello, yes that is what i was referring to, now i get it, thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                    X