Another peel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another peel question

I have had a few problems with the pizza not sliding off the peel as cleanly as I would like (toppings on oven floor). So what are your opinions on whether a wood peel or metal peel is best for the initial sliding in of the pizza. I want to buy the best one for this purpose.

Thanks to all, Mark

Re: Another peel question

I find that my aluminum peel is a little better. Also, try rice flour under your pizza, that really helps!
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Mark, I have no experience with a wooden peel but the aluminum works pretty well. Drake is correct about the rice, it's makes for a good release agent. I took whole grain and turned it into flour using a coffee grinder.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I use semolina, but others also use polenta. Dust your bases with plenty of flour too. Any thing that is wet like too much olive oil, pineapple juice or tomato sauce finding its way between tthe peel and the base will also make it stick. You sson learn how to slide them off well after you've wrecked a couple.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Cornmeal also works well.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            Mark, I have no experience with a wooden peel but the aluminum works pretty well. Drake is correct about the rice, it's makes for a good release agent. I took whole grain and turned it into flour using a coffee grinder.

Les...
            Les, my mother burnt up a coffee grinder trying to make rice flour (for shortbread cookies as I remember) so be careful as coffee is a different material (oily?) than grains and I think the grinders are different.

Also, Mark, are you checking that the pizza is free on the peel, using the "pizza shake"?
            sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I bought the SuperPeel and use it to "offload" the pizza just inside the door for 30s and then it is easy to just use the peel to push it into the main part of the oven.

karl

Comment

We use wooden peels to build our pizzas on. My family has learned to use the proper amount of cornmeal, and to periodically shake it while building their pizza so they slide off nicely. But it is still fun to watch the occational guest who either won't listen or believes they already know how to do it slide their toppings into the oven while the dough stays put.

dusty

Comment

I use wooden peels to put pizzas into the oven and a metal peel to turn and take out. Wet doughs do not stick as much to wood. You may use flour, semolina or polenta underneath and load the pizza with toppings before putting on the peel. Also, make sure it's not sticking before trying to put it into the oven. Just give it a flick of the wrist and if it is sticking use a large scraper to loosen it. I've had my share of having to make calzones - not intentionally, you understand!
                  "It's not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it's because we do not dare that things are difficult." ~ Seneca

Comment

I go with corn meal or semolina. Practice really does make perfect.

Comment

Working...
                    X