No announcement yet.

Accelerate Start up with a Gas burner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerate Start up with a Gas burner?

Does anyone have any experience in using a gas burner to accelerate/better control start-up times on a wood fired oven?

Re: Accelerate Start up with a Gas burner?

If this is for dry out, I suggest using Heat Beads as a more even source of heat, they can be spread out better and into the edges of the dome.

Comment

For firing the oven, for cooking, gas isn't recommended. If it's an external burner, with a tank that can be stored away from the oven, it would only be slow and expensive. If the burner and gas line is built in, it could be a disaster, because of accumulation of gas in the dome.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

You'll be surprised at how fast wood will get your oven up to speed. You can crank out some serious BTU's with wood.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
          If it's an external burner, with a tank that can be stored away from the oven, it would only be slow and expensive.
          Actually, these weed burner type wands work very well to kick start a fire....it's roaring almost instantaneously. CJ uses one in his barrel oven and after seeing his I got one for a Fathers day present.
          sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I use a gas burner for curing the oven because the temp rise is very gentle and constant, unlike wood which is harder to control. I put the burner on for 24 hrs and the temp rises gently to about 250 C in 24 hrs. Then jump to a few bigger curing fires with wood to finish off.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

If you really want to get some serious heat fast into your oven, then use a small hair dryer for some forced air induction. But it's really better to just give the structure time to absorb heat from the wood as it will do in its own good time.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
              X