Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap wood for intial dry out burns

Hi all,

Its been a while since I posted. Pizza oven build is still in process. No activity during the winter months but the weather is now getting better so hopefully soon I will continue the build.

During the inactivity, I took the opportunity to clean my garage. I found loads of scrap wood that I broke into smaller pieces in preparation for the dump. But then I thought that maybe I could use it for the pizza oven. The wood is actually not good quality. Particle board and broken down pallets.

I don't intend to use this wood for cooking pizza but wondered if I'll be okay in doing the first dry out burns with this? For cooking I'll use regular dry hard wood purposely bought for this.

What do you think?

Re: Scrap wood for intial dry out burns

the broken pallets should be fine as long as they are not made of treated pine - will have a green tinge if they are - but i wouldnt burn particle board in the fire, it is held together with some sort of glue and stinks when you burn it.
    Real men cook with fire
    My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

I'll burn anything but pressure treated. Heavy metals and cooking are not a good combo. I try to avoid painted scraps for the most part, it smells nasty when it burns.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I wouldn't burn plywood again. I put a small "test" piece in and besides the foul black smoke, that smell lingered in every firing for the next 6 months. No effect on pizza taste thank god!
        Wade Lively

Comment

Working...
        X