quick arch support.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick arch support.

When I decided to arch over the top, I weighed my ability to taper brick pieces on four sides with my chisel, and many many pieces, against arching over with roughly 1/2 brick size pieces, fewer mortar joints ( in compression) and fewer pieces.

Arching over was my choice, and I am not proud of the end product, per se, but I will rarely be looking at it, and neither will anyone else, as far as I know.

I am including my technique for supporting the arch, I am sure many have used similar, but with two clamps from harbour freight ( $3.99 each) and a piece of 1/4" masonite, ( you don't even have to cut it to any particular length.) the arch support is very easily achieved.

My chisel cut, concrete block smoothed, tapered bricks use the same angle, pretty much anywhere on the dome....4", 5" for a 39" inside diameter oven.

Incidently, I used a VERY quick method to support my three entry arches. By drawing the arc on any CAD program, I just measured what length piece of 1/8" by 2 1/2" tile board I would need, then bow it up into place under the arch... support with a couple of brick stacks and mortar the joints. The arch starts spanning almost immediately and from there it is just fill, fill, fill.

( am I adding TOO much detail?)

Lars.
    Last edited by Lars; 06-12-2009, 06:46 AM. Reason: More pictures.
    This may not be my last wood oven...

Re: quick arch support.

Lars - I'm kinda curious. Why did you go this route? I know it will work, but you have to build TWO plugs. One was enough for me. Good luck - it is looking good.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Re: quick arch support.

Hi Les,
      Actually, I arched again perpendicular, and have 4 difficult sphero-triangular holes to fill. I decided to not sweat a few larger mortar joints. If the clay acts as it should, in the mortar, the whole thing should hang together and radiate heat as it is supposed to.

I am just losing my perfectionist edge, I guess. I am willing to risk that if some aspect does not work great, I am willing to fix or re-do it. I am not even familiar with using a WFO at this point, and I may never know if there is a bit more turbulence up in my ceiling than, seemingly, everyone else here ( who have beautiful perfect ovens)

I was intrigued mostly to build the dome... and boy wouldn't it be fun to make a room, wine cellar, something... with a dome brick ceiling??? Now, there is where attention to detail would get more notice, I am thinking.

Lars.
      This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Working...
      X