Wooden Handle on Aluminum Peel Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Handle on Aluminum Peel Bad?

I've been searching and reading different threads for an hour or so, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Does anyone use the aluminum or steel peels with wooden handles? I'm sure they will burn up eventually, but are they adequate for a while? The wooden handled versions are much cheaper and more readily available, so I was thinking I might try some of these for my first set. Am I making a mistake?

Toby
    Toby

Re: Wooden Handle on Aluminum Peel Bad?

I use this type of peel for a "placing" peel, that is to get the pizza into the oven.

For a "turning" peel, i think it is worth it to fork up for a good one. You will use it a lot. Mine has a stainless steel handle (i think) at least it is not aluminum, as even that will melt in this heat.

Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I don't see any real problem though you may have to replace the handle from time to time - but it shouldn't be too often. I have used the same wooden peel to put pizzas in the oven for several years and - yes - the bottom is charred a bit where it touches the floor but it is otherwise in great shape. The wooden handle is fine! I prefer wood for putting pizzas in the oven over metal for pizzas never seem to stick to wood. (well not as often or as easily)

That said, you will want to eventually have a metal peel for turning as Drake says. The one FB sells that is 8 or 9 inches round is fabulous. I got it in the kit as a present and didn't expect to use it. It is almost all I use once the pizza is in the oven. Rotating the pizza, moving it around, and even pulling the pizza and placing it on the serving plate. That is the one special tool I really want!

But...I would not be concerned about the handle.
      Jay

Comment

Both my homemade peels have wooden handles and I haven't had any problems to date. My turning peel has a hickory handle... a recycle of a splitting maul handle that got broken off close. The oval shape is easy to control and feels nice in the hand.

Wood handles will last a long time if one takes care. I have a piece of aluminum 2 X 8 inches x 1/8th inch (10 guage) plate with two screws thru the middle holding it to the end of a broom handle. You know the straw kind that usually gets thrown away once the straw wears out. Well, take off the wire and straw and it's a fine enough piece of doweling for odd projects. It is what I use for raking out the coals. It was a fill in, a stop gap, got to have something quick sort of deal and I thought so if it lasts a night that's all I need....still going. Yes, it's scorched and slightly charred but it has lasted longer than I ever would have expected.

One nice thing about wood, it can get hot but not so hot as a piece of aluminum or S.S. a hot piece of wood can burn you but not sear you like a piece of metal can. How many have handles of wood for their WFO doors?

Bests,
        Wiley

Comment

"wood can burn you but not sear you like a piece of metal can"

Good comment, Wiley!
          Jay

Comment

I have both a wooden peel and a steel one. They both have wooden handles- I haven't had trouble with scorching on either, but then they aren't in there very long, either. My turning peel has a metal handle with a cool sliding hand-holder thingy on it so I don't burn my hand on the shaft. I also have a short-handled turning peel, but I don't use it much other than when I'm baking bread- it's handy for moving loaves. The temp is a lot lower then though.

My coal and log mover has a handle made of metal electrical conduit. I have to use gloves with it, but so far it doesn't get too hot to use as long as I have gloves on.
            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Hi... I made an extra long handled version of this thing -- the pig tail turner.
              It's the WFO multi-tool at my place. I can do fire management, pull pots from the back, turn pizzas, etc all with this thing. My handle is about 25" long and the loops are slightly larger.

But I've seen the standard turners and they are still really nice... as long as you have gloves on!

I just happened across this site.
              http://www.cooksite.com/IBS/SimpleCa.../25892580.html

Comment

Originally posted by texassourdough View Post
                That said, you will want to eventually have a metal peel for turning as Drake says. The one FB sells that is 8 or 9 inches round is fabulous. I got it in the kit as a present and didn't expect to use it. It is almost all I use once the pizza is in the oven. Rotating the pizza, moving it around, and even pulling the pizza and placing it on the serving plate. That is the one special tool I really want!

But...I would not be concerned about the handle.
                Jay
                Which FB one are you referring too?
                The aluminate one?

Or the steel one?

Thanks!
                Toby

Comment

So, it sounds like the general thought (so far) is that the turning peel should probably have a metal handle, but a wooden handle is usually ok for the placing peel.
                  Toby

Comment

Working...
                  X