Type of vermiculite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of vermiculite

I am probably overthinking this but......
    I can get vermiculite from our masonry supply house for $14.00 per 4cuft vs$32 for the same amount at Agway. Agways is hortacultural grade and the masonry vermiculite "is for filling cinderblcks" that was the best I could get out of the person at the supply house. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't go with the $14.00 vermiculite. Unless they have soaked it in ddt I can't see a difference. Because of all the EPA rules and standards they have today I doubt that the stuff they are pouring in your blocks is going to be anymore hazardouse than what you would put in you garden. Would love to know what you think because I plan on picking up my material for use tomorrow night.
    Also...what can I substitute for fireclay because the supplier doesn't seem to have any and says it is expensive. It's just to be used as a leveling bedd for the floor I believe so there must be something else that people have been using if any.
    G

Re: Type of vermiculite

The only vermiculite we've been warned off of is the insulation material that's been treated with silicone, as it doesn't absorb water. I don't know what the "masonry vermiculite" is, that's a new one on me.

If your only use for the fireclay is to level your floor, you can use the same dry mix you use for your firebrick mortar.

Just as a note, fireclay is easily available and cheap. Call mason suppliers, pottery supply places, refractory dealers, you'll find it. It comes in fifty pound bags and you might not need that much if you're using a regular commercial refractory mortar for your bricklaying.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: Type of vermiculite

I am going to check the vermiculite out but now that I think about it the stuff they are using may very well be treated with silicone or the like because the last thing you want in your walls is moisture build up. I think Iam just going to play it safe and use the more expensive horticultural type.
      Thanks again,
      G

Comment

Working...
      X