framing for the oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• framing for the oven

Any reason why you shouldn't frame the conventional way with wood? I'm sure the only reason could be heat but most homes that have fireplaces are all framed out with wood and they aren't insulated nearly as much as the WFOs.
    G

Re: framing for the oven

Heat is the reason. If you insulate with multiple layers/barriers very well I don't see why you couldn't go with wood. Though no way to do that with the framing members next to or against the vent opening.

I used a OSB wood roof deck and a wood 2x4 across the peak framing. No big.
    Wade Lively

Comment

I may do the wood because when framed out there is going to be more than 24 cuft of verm. We were goign to do cment board inside and out. Build the walls on the ground and then secure and then put the ourside on after.The other thing I want to do is to put a gable vent in. I know a lot of you are going to say no but you have to realize that when not in use the space in what would be considered the attic is going to get real hot and that doesn't sit well with shingles and roofing materials.
      G

Comment

Build the walls on the ground and then secure and then put the ourside on after.
        Just don't try to support your oven on wooden framing. But the outer structure is fine: I built a wooden building on top of my oven, around my chimney. Code calls for two inches clearance to combustibles, and firestopping where the chimney goes through the roof.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by mrgweeto View Post
          The other thing I want to do is to put a gable vent in.
          I think that is a good idea. As long as it does not let water it, is should allow the insulation to dry out in a humid climate.

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

That is good to hear. There will be enough clearance and working with work is so much easier and I still think sturdier.
            Thank you,
            G

Comment

My amateur roofing job left so many crevices, I don't need vents
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I think my enclosure is so tight I'm afriad If I took the top off I'd see somekind of biological disaster from any moisture that was left inside.....

Christo
                My oven progress -
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                  Just don't try to support your oven on wooden framing. But the outer structure is fine: I built a wooden building on top of my oven, around my chimney. Code calls for two inches clearance to combustibles, and firestopping where the chimney goes through the roof.
                  We have left 6" plus all around so we will have plenty of vermiculite and distance for wood framing. We may tie in with metal where the wall meets the chimney. That will have brick going right up so we may use wood as well.

Comment

If it catches fire, you can stand back and roast wieners on it.
                    Last edited by Neil2; 07-20-2009, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X