Weatherproofing oven entrance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weatherproofing oven entrance

I'm wondering what others did to weatherproof their oven entrance? The major issue I see is rain coming into the entrance, landing on the firebrick floor and soaking down into the insulation board, eventually ruining it. Is there something I can coat the bricks with or put between the bricks and insulation?

-Shay
    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Re: Weatherproofing oven entrance

Is there something I can coat the bricks with or put between the bricks and insulation?
    Both of these are profoundly bad ideas. Coatings will burn, and any water barier below will keep your bricks eternally wet. If you're concerned about water blowing into your oven mouth, then you should mount an exterior door. Some people have done these with adjustable vents so they double as draft doors, even with heat proof glass in them.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I was thinking of a door too.. I think I'll probably go that route. Another concern I have is snow piling up and then eventually melting.. a door would fix that too.

And it gives me a chance to show off my woodworking abilities...
      Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

I am thinking of some kind of doors on whatever my exterior ends up being that either come off or fold completly back and flush against the walls of the enclosure (summer mode) and then can be shut and are relatively weathertight for winter/rain mode.
        Or, since what I really want is to leave the igloo shape and mosaic my dome but I worry about all that work standing the test repeated of MN winters, a separate winter enclosure that comes apart and is removable for summer.

Comment

Hey, a fellow Minnesotan! I worry a bit about tile too in the winter.. I'm going to try a winter with out extra protection in the front to see how it goes. Jim lives in Wisconsin and he's told me his was fine after a winter.
          Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Working...
          X