Fire Brick as cooking surface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Brick as cooking surface?

I have a dozen or so firebrick sitting around after a outside fireplace project. Can you safely cook a pizza on firebrick directly? I was thinking of using my smoker, and placing the firebricks on the grates and using as a cooking surface for the pizza. I was using a stone, but... it cracked

Thanks for you help.

Re: Fire Brick as cooking surface?

Jason,

Welcome to the forum!

Firebrick makes a PERFECT cooking surface. In fact, all of our homebuilt brick ovens have firebrick floors. Your broken pizza stone is made of very similar materials.

I'm not sure if you can get your smoker hot enough for a pizza, but lots of people use firebricks in their gas and charcoal grills.

Let us know how it goes!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks!

I actually tried it out last night with what i would call good results. I used charcoal directly under the fire bricks and let it heat up the bricks to about 450 or so degrees according to my infared thermometer. Took about 45 minutes to heat... slide the down on.. and about 10 minutes later.. pizza.

Ive caught the bug now, would like to build a oven in the back yard!

Comment

Fire Bricks are made from chamotte is some kind of mineral and I think it isn't a problem to cook on fire bricks but they may take a long time to heat up

Comment

Working...
        X