Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high heat mortar

Hi,
    I have been talking about high heat mortar - I was directed to Capital Concrete in Topeka and I went today to talk to them about HeatStop 50.
    They don't carry it in stock - but they can order it since, like you said, they are Rumford dealers.
    (The person who is at the counter, really does not seem altogether too knowledgeable about these things...for someone who works at a concrete and brick place...and she borders on rudeness...ugh!)
    ANYWAY... She said that a 50# bag of Heatstop II(can that be used - is it different than heatstop 50?) is 65 bucks and that does not include freight charges!
    I would need about 4 of those bags!!!

I guess I should consider the homebrew method -

I am going outside right now to finish adding onto the insulated hearth...

And I need to start thinking about cutting brick - I hope this doesn't become too overwhelming!!!

The geodesic oven was incredible - every time I get on here, I find such great and helpful stuff - You all amaze me!

Thanks
    Cecelia

Re: high heat mortar

It's even more expensive here in California. The only place I found it locally wanted $174!!!

looks like it's homebrew for me....!
    -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

I don`t get it--it is $45 for a 50 b. bag here. The stuff is heavy but can`t cost all that much to ship. I bought 6 bags of the FB mortar and it shipped across country for not a lot of money (good stuff too). When i ran out, I switched to HeatStop and am using a lot of it as well. I built most of it with 1/2 bricks, then thirds, but did not angle or bevel until the top rings so stuffed a lot of mortar on the outer part of the rings. I should close with one more days work but these last rings have been SLOW with more custom cuts to limit the size of the upside down V`s. Using two different mixes resulted in some color difference--FB`s is a soft gray when hard but HS is dark grey/black. For me at least they work about the same and are very handy as you can mix small lots quickly.

Comment

45 bucks for a 50# bag?!?!?! And that's it??
        The lady at Capital Concrete in Topeka, Kansas, told me 68.00 bucks and that doesn't include freight!!

And $174 in California?!?!?

Where is this stuff coming from, anyway?

Isn't there a way to get it cheaper? I mean besides making your own!

Comment

That was it but my firebricks went for $1.60 @ in red or buff purchased at the same place. The Heatstop seems to be widely available so I am at a loss to explain the huge price difference.

Comment

well, I guess I'll have to plan on a few more bread sales at the Farmer's market in order to purchase the harbor frieght tile/brick saw and heatstop 50 (or refmix) AAAACK!
            If I need at the most 200 lbs of the mortar - wow - that's about 400 bucks!

c

Comment

Heat Stop comes from New York. That might explain why it's relatively inexpensive in Rochester. Out here in the West, it's more expensive.
              Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

I think the high heat formula in the plans has worked out well for me. I've found that mixing your own allows you more control with respect to sand and stickiness. Finer grained sand has proven stickier than coarser sand which in the heat of summer works well for me.

Comment

Working...
                X