Cleaning Metal Peel/Turning Peel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Metal Peel/Turning Peel?

Cooked in my oven for the 1st time today... how completely awesome!!!! Something I've always wanted. And the guests couldn't get over the experience either!

So placing & removing the pizza definitely requires a certain technique that I still need to practice. A few broken one's... and when I went to shove the very 1st pizza in, the dough stuck to the wooden peel & the topping landed on the oven floor. hehe

Anyway... my metal placing peel now has baked on ingredients stuck to it. What does everyone use to clean this... or is this considered "seasoning" and we leave it all on there?

Also, I think I see now why we need a separate, smaller than 14", round not square, turning peel in a small dome. Is the Forno Bravo one $40 worth of good? What is a "handle glide"??

Re: Cleaning Metal Peel/Turning Peel?

Hey Wawa...
    I developed a technique for picking up the pizza on my aluminum peel. To keep from mashing it against the ashes and the back wall, I do a quick shove to get under, then gently pull it back toward me, then quick shove to get it more on the peel, etc.

I use two techniqes to turn the pizza. First, since my oven is out of town a ways, we make them up on covered cookie sheets. ( found a great aluminum 1" high sides and plastic covers!!) I start the bake on the sheet, then I transfer to the peel.

Also, to turn the pizza, I just grab it on the peel, pull it back, turn it, then put it back.

Lars.
    This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Congrats Wawazat THe first pies,, How were they and where are the pics ?

I wash my peel quickly with soap and water by the garden hose then set it on a hot oven floor to dry for a minute....

I went to a local restaurant supply and got a small turning peel, It is definitely worth the money, I do wish I bought the Forno Bravo one though as after all James has given us in this forum its time to give back,, so I will be ordering something soon,,,,

Pizzas that roll off the peel and fold together are called "Accidental Calzones"
      I have still not mastered the peel technique, So I make 4 or 5 pizzas on trays, let them cook in the tray for a few and then place them on the brick. It also lets you set up a few at once and you get to eat with your guests and not let them watch you sweat in front of the oven while they eat...

It also helps if you put too many toppings on as a guest will often do,, when a pizza is over "sauced" it can stick to the peel from the sauce soaking thru the dough.

As far as the sliding handle, Cant help you there,,, Anyone ?

Congrats again and welcome to a whole new world of Pizza, Bread, Etc

P.S. My first thing I cooked after a few dozen pizza's was a beer can chicken
      Try it you will like it......,
      Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

The sliding handle is allows the tube to slide through the handle and rotate without "dragging" on your hand. Also provides insulation if the tube gets hot. Most pizza places use peels without the slide. I have the FB deluxe with slide and I LOVE IT! Most useful peel. You need a bigger one to put the pie in - and wood is IMO best. Once the dough sets the small peel does fine. I even usually use the small round peel to remove pizzas for I rarely make pizzas over about 12 inches and the overhang is no problem on properly cooked dough. (If ultra thin or large I use the larger peel.)

I recommend it!
        Jay

Comment

Thx for all the suggestions. I think I will practice all the traditional methods until I get it right... I'm stubborn like that! I really need to find some youtube vids or something to get the pizza crust shaping down. My guests forced a rolling pin on me after the 2nd failed attempt!

So my aluminum peel is caked with baked on sauce that I'm having trouble removing. I'm sure oven cleaner will do it but do I want to use that? Or maybe a scouring pad & some good ol' fashioned elbow grease.

Comment

hey wawa,,,
            always keep in mind a pizza doesnt have to be ROUND.... If the dough lays out nice in an oval, square, star ? etc.... It will still cook,, IMO most important thing is keeping the dough evenly spread no mattter the shape....

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
              hey wawa,,,
              always keep in mind a pizza doesnt have to be ROUND....
              That's what I had to keep telling my guests last night!!

If the dough lays out nice in an oval, square, star ? etc.... It will still cook,, IMO most important thing is keeping the dough evenly spread no mattter the shape....

Mark
              All joking aside, I am aware of that... thx Mark. I did find that if I had a crust that was thicker in certain areas, personally, I liked the doughy texture & flavor.

Comment

hey wawa,

If you lay out your dough and let it raise again,, you can get a nice light fluffier crust which is what i do if time allows

Comment

Congratulations on a working oven, totally worth all of the work right?

I'm just getting the hang of turning the pizzas, made a small round turning peel about 8" diameter. The trick is to slide it under then tip it to one side so one edge is on the hearth and then pull (or push depending on the direction you're headed) and it will roll on it's edge.

As far as placing the pizza, I can't figure out how anyone is able to get an aluminum peel to work without a ton of flour, I have had good luck with standard wooden peels, and the only trick seems to be keeping it dry and keeping it moving, a small shuffling motion every so often when it's being assembled, and get at least two one with a long handle, you can assemble the pizza on a short one and then transfer it to the long one (which is a little more insurance that it will actually slide onto the hearth)

If you're still trying to clean that aluminum peel, try just leaving a damp cloth on it to soften up the spill and it should just wipe off, I wouldn't risk scratching it by scrubbing at it too much.

Anyway, we've had pizza every weekend since I fired it up for the first time this summer, actually just finished some leftovers from last night reheated in the still warm oven! Already thinking about what kind of pizza to have next weekend.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dougrappe View Post
                    Congratulations on a working oven, totally worth all of the work right?

I'm just getting the hang of turning the pizzas, made a small round turning peel about 8" diameter. The trick is to slide it under then tip it to one side so one edge is on the hearth and then pull (or push depending on the direction you're headed) and it will roll on it's edge.

As far as placing the pizza, I can't figure out how anyone is able to get an aluminum peel to work without a ton of flour, I have had good luck with standard wooden peels, and the only trick seems to be keeping it dry and keeping it moving, a small shuffling motion every so often when it's being assembled, and get at least two one with a long handle, you can assemble the pizza on a short one and then transfer it to the long one (which is a little more insurance that it will actually slide onto the hearth)

If you're still trying to clean that aluminum peel, try just leaving a damp cloth on it to soften up the spill and it should just wipe off, I wouldn't risk scratching it by scrubbing at it too much.

Anyway, we've had pizza every weekend since I fired it up for the first time this summer, actually just finished some leftovers from last night reheated in the still warm oven! Already thinking about what kind of pizza to have next weekend.

Doug
                    It's AMAZING how long these things hold their heat! I'm ready to cook again today! I guess putting wood in for the next day's fire after finished isn't a smart idea when the oven is too hot. Took the doors off today & the fresh supply was a hot, smoldering pile of charcoal! Then, after taking the doors off, it went up into flames almost immediately.

I ended up soaking the alum peel & taking Scotchbrite to it. I didn't think about scratching it... and there are some fine scratches in it but I don't think it will hurt. I was thinking of buying one of those BBQ grill scotchbrite type pads w/the handle so I can take care of any mess on the peel on the fly. Any thoughts on that???

How did you make your turning peel? Pix?

Comment

It's AMAZING how long these things hold their heat!
                      Now, If we could keep the heat in our house as well,, We could save a ton of money ?? Just really goes to show you the value of using the right products and INSULATING WELL Or turn some of the oven heat to house heat ??

Mark

Comment

Maybe you folk who live in cold climates should have your ovens indoors ?
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                          Maybe you folk who live in cold climates should have your ovens indoors ?
                          Hi David,
                          I wish I had the fore thought for that,,, Now its bothering me to know over the winter all that usefull heat is just gonna keep the squirells warm, My Oven is about 30 feet from the house so I guess I will still be using the gas furnace.

Mark

THink I will start a post about reclaiming oven heat ?

Comment

We live in a tropical climate and are quite happy to keep the heat out of our homes. We especially enjoy a nice roast in the summer when you normally wouldn't dream of turning on your kitchen oven.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

As to cleaning the aluminum peels, try Barkeeper's friend. It is a very gentle abrasive good for aluminum and stainless steel.

Drake
                              My Oven Thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
                              X