Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final dome brick courses.

Hi all,

I've nearly finished the dome. I'll be posting pics a bit later down the line but I've run into a problem.

I've been building a free standing dome with no formers. The firebricks I'm using are quite small. The final courses of bricks aren't holding in place and are sliding off the mortar.

Is there a simple way to keep them from sliding off without the need of a big inflatable ball or formers? I've tried varying the wetness of the mortar but to no avail.

It was all going so well up to now.

Patrick

Re: Final dome brick courses.

The simplest approach I've seen people use (I haven't gotten to that point yet) is to joist each brick up with a vertical stick extending from the floor. Just jam any 'ol stick in there that will hold it up, probably lots of sticks of course.

BTW, what kind of mortar are you using?

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

I was starting to use a readymix that could withstand 1600? C. It wouldn't set. So I called the factory and they said that it was designed to be used in very thin layers. So I'm using the Pompei refractory mortar mix with portland.

I also had a bit of a brain wave and may have come up with a simple solution to the brick problem. If it doesn't rain tomorrow (which would be a miracle) I'll test it and post pictures. It involves a rubber hose.

Comment

I B M F,

I just used bits of scrap lumber... they hold the brick in place long enough for you to finish the row of brick, at which point the row will hold it's self in place and the mortar will cure...

See the pics...

JED

Comment

I used hot melt glue.

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

"I used hot melt glue.

CHEATER !

Comment

Now Neil...

The use of hot glue is really the appropriate use of available technology!

Seams like a good idea to me!

JED

Comment

Les used the Macgyver method. He forgot to mention the piece of twine, duct tape, and chewing gum.

RT

Comment

Here's my method. Using re-enforced hose pipe, screws or nails and thin locking wire:

Comment

Comment

Now I’ve got a bit of time on my hands I can describe this method. It works very well. Putting in the final courses of bricks is a doddle and they go on snugly and very solidly with no slippage or sliding.

The dome is a compound curve so the only thing that can be used is a hosepipe. Nails or screws are inserted into the mortar between the previous 2 brick courses on the outside of the dome. Locking wire is then wound around the nails and used to hold the hose up against the final course. The hose butts up against the top edge of the previous course so the new course cannot slide off and down.

The wire tension can be adjusted as work proceeds. The beauty here is that after 24 hours the wire is cut near the nails and as you remove the hose all the wire pulls out as well.

Last edited by I burnt my fingers; 11-19-2009, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Burnt,
                        I am really impressed with your ingenuity, it looks like something these Filipinos would dream up. They can build anything with nails, cement, tie-wire, hollow blocks. Just add the rubber hose. I am just about to that point in my build and i will try this method, thanks.
                        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Hey Burnt

INGENIOUS !!!! very cool idea,,, Looks like its working well

Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. I've got one more course to go and the keystone. So far so good.

Comment

Working...
                            X