Possible tip for uneven ceramic board surfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible tip for uneven ceramic board surfaces

Hello, I snooped around my local steel yard, and found a piece of stainless steel sheet from the end of a coil, which was sold as scrap. For $30 I got a piece big enough to lay on the ceramic board as part of the permanent oven cooking floor, and it immediately made it easier to level the bricks. It's 20 gauge, so I hope there's no problem, as this sheet has not been stress relieved. I'll let you know if it pops my oven apart with the first high temp firing!

Re: Possible tip for uneven ceramic board surfaces

With no experience yet with ovens, I'm curious and have to ask, will that plate of steel not wick the heat from your oven floor?

Rod
    I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish Wheels View Post
      With no experience yet with ovens, I'm curious and have to ask, will that plate of steel not wick the heat from your oven floor?

Rod
      Yeah, I think the SS sheet will conduct heat much faster than the fire brick, but the sheet is directly on the FB board insulation, and will be surrounded by the ceramic blanket. So, theoretically at equilibrium, the heat loss should be no worse than brick alone; that is, at no point is the sheet exposed to air.

Comment

Eric.

The plate will expand much more than the fire bricks when hot. It may offset some of your bricks, but hopefully there is not enough friction between the plate and the bricks. Remember not to restrict the plate expansion along its perimeter!

karl
        Last edited by karl; 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X