No announcement yet.

Do not use steel sheet to level bricks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not use steel sheet to level bricks!

Warning!

I was happy to find a cheap piece of stainless steel sheet, and thought it would make leveling bricks easy, by using the sheet as a flat surface between the ceramic board and the bricks. Out of curiosity I waved my torch on the sheet for just a few seconds and it sprung like a cheap cookie sheet, and deflected bricks by as much as 3/16 inch (see picture.)
    The sheet is now gone, and another "good" idea has been filed away under DO NOT DO!

Re: Do not use steel sheet to level bricks!

The things that we learn from experience hey Eric!
    Just use a thin layer of fireclay to bed your bricks into for a fine flat level surface. I don't even use a notched trowel, just a little perseverence and tamp the bricks down gently to get them correct.
    maybe, a little sanding with an abrasive disc ob the angle grinder will get them 'perfect' if needs be.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Oh MAN! I am SO GLAD you tested that with the torch before building your oven. That would have been heart breaking.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Yeah, in the metal trades that's called "potato chipping" Sheet metal is rolled, and has tremendous surface tension. When you cut off one side, or stress relieve one side with heat, it just curls up.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I saw the same thing happen once while milling a flat on a cold-rolled steel round.

Comment

This is another reason why a wooden door is preferable to a metal. especially stainless steel door, apart from its poor insulation qualities.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X