Refrax--induramento pronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrax--induramento pronto

Since tomorrow is designated first mortar day, I thought I would try out a few experimental soldier joints on some bricks with wrong saw cuts. I scooped up about 400 cc of Refrax and mixed it with 100 mL water, and for the first time in my life I picked up a mason's trowel. I buttered one soldier slapped the other on next to it, and began buttering another one. Since I was too fussy with the joint, this whole process took about 6-7 minutes, and by then the mortar had begun to set hard--the fun was over. I'm glad I did this, because I might have mixed a whole bag of that gray gold. The amount I used this evening seems to be about right for 2-3 joints, so I think this is how I will approach the build tomorrow, until I (if ever) become more facile at laying bricks with a quick-set mortar. I think I will also let the firebricks sit longer in water before mortaring. So the moral? Refrax as promised by the manufacturer sets up fast. To the beginner like myself--mix up sparingly.

Re: Refrax--induramento pronto

Hi all
    I have a refrax nightmare on my hands...purchased 10 bags 18 mos. ago...wrapped in plastic(several layers) in my garage... felt good in the bags.. mortar day was Sat... mixed up ok but mix is still crumbly ... I am able to dig it out without much force 48 hrs. later not exactly 'pronto':..... I am going to buy new but should I chip away the junk and start over or just apply over it? This is an indoor construction...cannot have a leak!
    I caled support back at FB with the question of refrax integrity but no one responded. Can someone in the forum help me?
    Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pfeifer View Post
      The amount I used this evening seems to be about right for 2-3 joints, so I think this is how I will approach the build tomorrow, until I (if ever) become more facile at laying bricks with a quick-set mortar.
      Eric,

So far during my build I have only mixed up enough mortar for 4 bricks because I find that the time it takes to position 4 bricks the mortar is starting to go off.

I was mixing up and using the mortar from a bucket and I also found that a paint scraper was much easier to use than a trowel when working out of a bucket.

After laying a dozen or so bricks you get into a grove but I still kept my mortar batches small.

Paul
      Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
      (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Hi Cat,

I wanted to follow up and make sure they someone has reached you. You should chip away the mortar that did not set properly, and I would try again with a different bag. If the same thing happens, get back in touch with us, and we will talk about replacing your mortar.

You want to get it right!
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by Chefkat View Post
          Hi all
          I have a refrax nightmare on my hands...purchased 10 bags 18 mos. ago...wrapped in plastic(several layers) in my garage... felt good in the bags.. mortar day was Sat... mixed up ok but mix is still crumbly ... I am able to dig it out without much force 48 hrs. later not exactly 'pronto':..... I am going to buy new but should I chip away the junk and start over or just apply over it? This is an indoor construction...cannot have a leak!
          I caled support back at FB with the question of refrax integrity but no one responded. Can someone in the forum help me?
          Kat
          Hello, my construction is indoor, too. The Refrax I bought last month sets up fast (minutes), and by the next day it was fairly stone hard. I have not tried to dig it out, but this morning at breakfast (+24 hours), I tried to stick a fork in the joint, and it would not penetrate. From what I've learned about mortar it will get even stronger after the time, and the obligatory curing fires. I can't imagine well-bagged up Refrax "going bad," but your question is probably better answered by the FB people.

Comment

Thanks James Thanks Eric
            I'll start chipping away in the AM

Comment

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
              Eric,

So far during my build I have only mixed up enough mortar for 4 bricks because I find that the time it takes to position 4 bricks the mortar is starting to go off.

Paul
              Exactly! 4 bricks, three joints. By then the mortar is too stubborn. I also figure about 20 bricks to one suds.

Comment

Working...
              X