Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding those dome bricks in place

Hello guys,

I'm a new member here and my pizza oven project is well under way.

I have been looking at this site for some time before and during my project.
    The tips and techniques I have learnt here have been invaluable.
    Thanks to all you contributors.

When I hit the dome proper, I weighed up all the suggested ways of holding up those bricks in a sideways position.
    There are a lot of options I must say.

After a lot of trial and error experimenting, I came up with a simple idea that seems to serve me well. I thought that I might feed that back in appreciation of all the help I have obtained here.

So here it is, for what it's worth.

They are very simple brackets made from heavy gauge, stiff wire coat hangers. That's about as basic as it gets hey!
    Any stiff wire will do however.

They will hold the brick in position right up to vertical and yet allow for sideways adjusting while mortaring as well as for adjusting the angle of the brick. They only prevent the brick from sliding down.

They will also allow good access to the brick face for cleaning as the job progresses. Qucik and easy to install, easy to remove and are re-useable.

The only disadvantage seems to be that they rely fully on the previous course for support, so you can only do one course at a time.
    Suits me fine as I plod along and can wait, but if you are pressed for time, they are not for you.

What do you think?

Cheers all and thanks again for all the good info'

Re: Holding those dome bricks in place

Do they come in colours other than pink ?

Comment

Keijo
      and I welcome you aboard.
      It looks like from your photos that you are using a refractory adhesive rather than a basic mortar.
      If you were to use the 'poor mans mortar' which is 1pt portland, 1pt hydrated lime, 1pt fireclay and 3pts brickie sand, you could fill your wedge shaped voids (mortar joints) and it would be rather sticky. I was able to get the mortar to hold almost to 90˚ without any aids or extra supports and it's cheap.
      Anyway, you seem to have it all under control and I will continue to watch your progress.

Cheers.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,

Thanks for the feedback!
        You are right about the refactory adhesive, and it does tend to be a bit slippery, especially if the bricks are a little bit damp.
        So I do need extra help in getting the bricks to stay put.
        Obviously a bit late for me to switch to your mortar mix, but I have filed it away for future ref'.
        The adhesive I use is not much good for gaps beyond about 3/8" so I fill the large gaps with a refractory casting mix.
        This seems to work quite well as both will air dry/set extremely strong and yet will increase in strength when they fully set at the oven operating temperatures. I think it will be bomb proof in the end. A mini nuclear shelter.

BTW, how did your oven turn out?
        Are you happy with the way it's working?

Cheers,
        Keijo

Comment

Great idea on the brackets! I may use them on my build as well.
          George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Keijo
            check out my build. It was several years ago but the links are below each posting. Just follow the prompts for a thorough description with pics of the build. Also, check out the dates of the posts as you can then see the time line for the build.
            I have still to finish the oven as there is always something extra that one can do, especially when you add a kitchen. I now need to extend the patio roof to prevent the oven from absorbing water which currently falls on it from the roof.
            However, the over is great, it works a treat and we use it for catering for large party groups (only when held at home or neighbors places) as we can cook or heat food for between 60 to 80 people.
            I don't always cook pizza as we get a bit sick of them time and time again. I still have a half dozen in the freezer awaiting to be used as I make all the leftover bases ans toppings into spare meals.
            Christmas day will see the oven going to bake the rather large turkey, leg of lamb, pork roast and all the roast vegys for our immediate family which is growing and will feed around 26 (plus the young grand children) to a full sit down feast. I will also heat up the traditional christmas pudding. I might even do a batch of bread and buns in the afternoon after the lunch.

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,

Had a look at your build. Nice job!
              Sounds like you are making good use of the finished oven too.
              One of the concerns I have, is that once the project is finished, the enthusiasm might wane and the oven may not get the use it should.

I guess I have to wait and see for that, and that wait will probably take me into the new year as there is still a lot to do and so little time.

Thanks again for your feedback,
              Cheers,
              Keijo

Comment

Keijo,
                I had an Idea like yours but never did it,, I Think its great,,, Good ingenuity... you worked it out nicely....
                One of the concerns I have, is that once the project is finished, the enthusiasm might wane and the oven may not get the use it should.
                I started cooking in late may, and still cook as much as the beginning if not more,, I have also expanded way beyond pizza,,, ie:bread,chicken,pulled pork, turkey, ribs,, One of my favorites "Dirty Steak" Possibilities are endless and still make pizza once or twice a week..never more than 3-4 days go by Im not cooking something in the oven..

Cheers
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                  One of my favorites "Dirty Steak"
                  Is that anything like the Caveman T-bone where you toss the steak directly onto the coals?
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Sounds like they are one in the same... I personally like to use a London Broil,,, As long as it is evenly thick it will cook great

Theres also Turkey,beercan chicken, pulled pork, blah bla blah

cheers
                    Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X