Oven Spit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven Spit

I have a couple of coffee trees in the garden, by the time you have finished processing them you need something a bit stronger than a coffee. I would hate to do 40 Kilos, I only got one kilo last year and it took forever to get down to the green beans. Still, I will look at the threads and see what they have to offer, I have been using a frying pan up to now.

My brother-in-law came down at the weekend and spent a few hours telling me why my original idea wouldn't work, mostly for the same reasons given by the forum members.

He wants some measurements but is thinking that a removable channel that slides through a bracket in the opening and slots into a recess in the back of the oven wall might be the way to go. The channel can be put in when the oven is cold and left until it cools down again. He wanted to leave it in permanently but I thought it might interfere with the other cooking.

The idea is then that I can have trolleys in the channel and the rotating spit can be suspended from the trolleys and moved backwards and forwards, this would support the front and the back of the spit and even the load.

It sounds a bit involved but he is a sheet metal worker and seems to think it can be done. I would scan the pictures but he wrote all over them so I will have to redraw them anyway.

Would leaving the track/channel in permanently affect the running of the oven, stop it heating evenly etc. or am I over thinking it?

Cheers

Mark
    Last edited by jislizard; 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I am just beginning to look at different WFO designs for building one in an outdoor kitchen area of a new home we plan to build in the next couple of years. I have a friend who has a WFO here in Chicago and he created a built-in rotisserie in his oven. Attached is a picture. Has anyone thought about integrating a rotisserie into the oven in this manner? My friend tells me that it works well.

Comment

So far I have only been looking at getting the business end in the front of the oven, I hadn't thought about having it at the back. This way it is out of the way, not obstructing the door and not heating up from the radiated heat.

Any pictures of the support at the front of the oven?

You would still have to thread the end of the spit through the back wall into the motor, how does your friend support the weight and aim? If the oven is fired up it would be difficult to see the back and anything heavy on the spit would make it harder to take in and out.

I am very interested though, it is another option.

Mark

Comment

Sorry for the confusion but this is not a front-to-back setup. The motor in the picture is on the right side of the oven. My friend puts a special metal support inside on the other side using oven mitts, puts the loaded spit in through the front, threads it through the hole into the motor, and sets the other end on the metal support. When finished, he reverses these steps to get the cooked meat out. He does have a wider-than-normal door so that he can maneuver the spit in and out. I didn't ask him how he does this without getting burned.

I had a meeting with my builder today and, since I decided to build a true brick oven, we both felt that it did not make sense modifying the oven to accommodate a rotisserie. It is harder to modify a brick oven versus a refractory cement one. Besides, I will have a grill near the oven that will have an integrated rotisserie. I still may try to design and build a front entry rotisserie contraption after the oven is completed but, for now, I have decided not to build one into the oven.

Comment

It also means you have a hole in your inner oven and a steel sleeve pumping heat to the outside and expansion and contraction creating wear on the outside (look at the cracks around the seating of the sleeve)
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

With the hole in the back, you're probably not losing much heat though.. I mean there is a huge hole in the front! As another option, couldn't you drill a hole into a firebrick in the back inside the oven, and use that as the rotation point?
              My oven (for now):
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Firebrick is relatively soft and would wear rapidly. In addition to damaging the brick, the shaft would quickly get out of alignment. It looks like he has a piece of pipe in the rear hole. That could also be a solution for a front mounted rotisserie motor; the pipe section and rotisserie bar would take the wear and both are easily replaced.

I really like the rear motor idea - the motor is protected from the heat and you have a wide open view of what's going on inside the oven.

OK, so I belatedly see that the motor is not at the rear. I wonder which is cooked better - the food or the poor guy putting the food in and out of the blazing hot oven?

Still, this is food for thought -- which is second only to pizza for food...
                Last edited by stoveup; 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM. Reason: new information

Comment

Digging up an old thread, hoping others are trying to integrate a rotisserie? Our GE kitchen stove has a built in motor at the back and a rack that slides in to support both ends until you can engage the square hole which lifts the back slightly. I'm wondering if the pipe option in the back wall might allow for the smae thing. I too envy the Aussie heavy duty motor, never seen one that nice.

Comment

Do you envision using this with the door closed? If not, it would be a simple task to have something fabricated to slide into the oven. The motor would be sitting in the entry so the heat shouldn't be an issue.
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

With the door as part of the whole unit and fixings outside to attach the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
                        With the door as part of the whole unit and fixings outside to attach the motor.
                        I considered that but the ability to slide in the unit, with food, and being able to view the cooking process - it's above my pay grade.
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Les and TC, I saw another thread from Cajunknight with that concept and I liked that but I started thinking about the one we have in the kitchen oven, and found this similar idea so there is always multiple ways to skin the cat. The concern expressed with a rack was what to do about storage of a big assy to slide in. If the motor was in the back, the slide in assy might be less complex? I haven't thought much about it, so popped in here for more collective input. Simpler may end up better here....

Comment

Working...
                          X