Oven Spit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Spit

Here is a spit Ive just completed, I havent used it yet as the weather is just too hot to light the oven.
    But I cant wait to give it a try out.

Ive got more pics of the build if anyone is interested, here.

The parts were bought online here.

Ive just got to get the Stainless rod made pointy on the end at the local machine shop.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-08-2010, 08:09 PM.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: Oven Spit

looks good brickie in oz i am thinking of doing the same but i have to wait till i get my oven fro WA . it is very hot in melb i just finished working on the bench for my wfo i might get up early tomorrow to finish it of :-)

Comment

looks great,,, would love to see some pics of something cooking on it

cheers
      mark

Comment

Speaking of hot, it's really hot in the mouth of the oven. Will your motor unit withstand that? You may want to rig up a chain drive that lets you offset the motor off to the side of the oven entry.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I am with dmun. That motor is likely to quickly be toast if it is as close to the mouth of the oven as it seems in the picture.

Looks like you avoided galvanized metal! But it is probably worth restating (for those who may have missed other discussions) that galvanized metal should NOT be used in ovens unless the galvanizing has been burned off for zinc can vaporize and cause health problems at oven temps.

I look forward to a report!
          Jay

Comment

Yeah I avoided gal as I know of the great health risks involved.
            There was a guy on a metal work forum I visit that died after inhaling gal fumes as he was burning off the gal in a gas forge.

The paint on the steel boxing needs to be burnt off prior to cook with it too, I used to work as a welder many years ago and the paint fumes off the boxing are quite bad so Id hate to eat it...

I still have to make a heat shield to go in front of the motor, I was thinking of a removable piece of sheet iron (non gal) with a slot that just slips over the spit rod.

Thanks for the replies and advice, keep em coming.

Maybe next weekend, hot weather permitting, Ill fire it up and give it a trial with a leg of lamb.
            Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-09-2010, 01:10 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Given that the hemisphere creates the best even radiation and with the hot floor as well, what advantage do you get by rotating your roast?
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

rotating the roast will keep it self basting in its own juices... when they do drip to the floor they will smoke up and flavor the roast...

Comment

when they do drip to the floor they will smoke up and flavor the roast...
                  Or you could put a pan of Yorkshire pudding underneath...
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hmm, making me hungry just reading about it!
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

OK, the weather has cooled down to an agreeable 22c so here it is all fired up and cooking.

The spit frame was a good way to go with the design, I can slide the whole frame in or out to take advantage of the heat, or lack of it, in certain areas of the oven.

I need to make a door that will slip over the rod to retain the heat and smokiness.

Leg of Lamb and Veggies....hmmmm.

Floor temp 200c
                      Ceiling temp 400c
                      Motor face 57c
                      Smell Hmmmm Yum
                      The Dog waiting....woof

It must be good, judging by the amount of flies hanging around......
                      Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-12-2010, 11:30 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

looks good brickie,, did you have any problems with it ?? I am feeling inspired after seeing this

Cheers
                        Mark

Comment

There were no problems at all, it maybe could have done with a little bit more cooking time, say 20 minutes.

A tight fitting door would probably have had the same effect.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

thanks for that you have given me a great idea i have a heap off stainless sitting around i should weld 1 up does the casing for the motor show any signs off melting

Comment

Originally posted by bris-pizza-oven View Post
                              thanks for that you have given me a great idea i have a heap off stainless sitting around i should weld 1 up does the casing for the motor show any signs off melting
                              The motor hardly gets hot via the oven opening, a door would tackle that problem anyway.
                              The motor would probably get more heat from the stainless rod that holds the food.

Weve used it 3 times so far with no problems.

Heres a chook we did a while ago.....yum

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X