Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick cutting - advice in Australia

Hi All,
    I'm about to start my oven build having finished my base (will post some photo's once I get a bit further along) and was enquiring about brick saw hire at Bunnings which I think is like the Aussie version of Home Depot. The advice I got was that their brick saws will only cut concrete pavers, not fire bricks! Does anyone have any advice as to whether they will actually cut my firebricks or should I go to another hire place?
    Thanks and cheerio,
    Mark

Re: Brick cutting - advice in Australia

A standard masonary diamond blade cuts thru firebrick like butter. You will need the saw for a while so Bunnings may not be ideal. I dont know if you would want to cut all the brick in one day as you need to cut angle on the sides of the brick and vary the width of each brick to get a staggered bond.

I used a 9" diamong blade (2 for $50 on ebay) fitted to a compound mitre saw(timber saw)
    It trashed the saw but you can pick one up for a few hindred bucks(probably less) .
    I did my whole build with one of these and a 4" $20 angle grinder.

Comment

Diamond blades are the way to go! As for a saw, if you dont want to spend the money buying a new one you could always look on the net for a site called GumTree. Its like Ebay but you dont bid for stuff...its like an online trading post. Just Google Melbourne Gum Tree and it should come up. Its where I buy all my stuff over here in Perth and i pretty sure Melbourne/Vic has a GumTree site too.

Comment

Hi Mark, things might be different there, but a 10" wet tile type saw is your best bet. Wet cutting is very fast and accurate no dust very safe and firebricks cut easier then even concrete pavers, don't force the saw and plenty of water,it will be great. I just finnished some cutting of my own last weekend check out the pix.
        Good luck
        John

Comment

Yeah, a 10" wet saw would be awesome. Unfortunately the cheapest we can get them for is around $800.Our home depot(Bunnings) doesnt do anything like that. Also our firebricks are $3.30 each upwards!!

Comment

Ouch, 800 beans, can you rent any wet saw at all , I saw some post about cutting a 12 degree angle on the first 5 or 6 courses. You could easily cut all that in a half day. I see why your post says brick cutting- advice in Australia. What about a worm drive circular saw with a water kit.
            John

Comment

Hi Mark,
              another option is to buy a 14" cut off saw and a $60 diamond blade from ebay and use that, all up around $200. You can set up a small irrigation sprinkler on the blade and aim the dust/mud into a box with another small sprinkler and away you go.
              Commercial brick saws are quite expensive to buy and you pay the earth for their diamond blades
              I just received 2 x 9" angle grinder diamond blades off ebay and I paid $11.50 for the 2 blades and $20 postage. Great blades, some of the best I have seen and used. Do a search for diamond blades.

Neill
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Why can't you just use a chisel and a hammer? You will be turning the cut side out anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                  Why can't you just use a chisel and a hammer? You will be turning the cut side out anyway.
                  I agree. I'll be doing exactly that for the good majority of my bricks.
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys! I've found another hire place here in melbourne (a bit more of a drive) who will hire a brick saw and guarantee they will cut bricks! I did consider using a chisel and hammer but am a bit anal about it so wanted to get nice clean cuts. Thanks again and I'll update my progress as I go.
                    Cheerio,
                    Mark

Comment

Just a word about diamond saw rental: If they charge you for blade wear, it's a rip-off. You'll save money by buying your own blade.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                      X