Round Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Stand

I'm considering using a round stand because I have limited space. Has anyone out there thought of using a concrete drain pipe for this purpose? Seems like a 36 or 42 inch pipe would work perfectly. Assuming one could locate one the right length. I wonder how hard they are to cut???
    Thought?
    Comments?

Phil

Re: Round Stand

I had considered this for a different project a while back, but it is expensive. A 48" diameterx4' section is over 400 bucks and very heavy.

Comment

You can form a round stand using standard cement blocks.
      I plan on forming my round stand with cement blocks (either 6x8x16 or 8x8x16 blocks) but the stand will be about 6 feet in diameter.
      I considered half blocks but the cores would be very difficult, if not impossible to fill if you stagger these blocks.
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

So much for that idea.
        Any suggestions on how to create a round stand? I have no experience building forms for concrete. How difficult do you think it would be to create one?

How 'bout this idea. Imbed a circle of schedule 40 pipes (say one ever 36 degrees, that would be 10 pipes) in the concrete pad and pour a round oven floor on top of them. Just thinking out loud.

Not a must but I think it would look cool.

Thanks
        Phil

Comment

The other way I considered was with sonotube, 1 48" diameter and one 42" diameter, but it was almost just as expensive. You could form it with cheap fence pickets and wire on the outside, but I could not figure out a good way secure the formwork on the inside short of cutting disks of plywood.

Comment

This is an interesting round stand

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ucer-3033.html

Rod
            I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

Thanks Fish

That is brilliant. I had noticed Neil's Avatar but had not figured out how to find the pics. (newbie) I'm still in the planning stage obviously. The peg board form seems to be the perfect way to go. And I like the ash drop hole. I was beginning to wonder if anyone here added one like Alan Scott recomends. I'm think I might enclose the stand. I could use the peg board form idea to brick against.

Thanks again
              Phil

Comment

Build it out of bricks. A little craigslist work will find someone with a pallet or two of leftover bricks to get rid of. That way you won't have to finish your stand with ugly stucco.

A couple of courses in half width at the support slab layer will give you a lip to hold your support slab, then you can continue upward once your dome is built.

BTW, a forty-eight inch circle isn't going to yield much of a dome diameter. Remember, your dome has to be offset to allow room for your landing and vent area. The advantage of building a brick support is that you could elongate the circle into an oval, to give you more room to work.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Here is a 42" x 4' concrete pipe, left over from a construction job.

Comment

"And I like the ash drop hole."

I like the ash drop I put in my flying saucer. It serves two purposes: cleaning out ashes and providing a 1 inch x width of door "heat break" between the hearth bricks and my polished concrete counter top.

Comment

I was Googling and found this. It looks like a steel water main or drain pipe.
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I'm with D, build it out of bricks, should be very cheap some one always looking to get rid of extras if your not that picky. Drive a big steel stake into the center point. Cut a board with a point on one end round off the other and drill a hole about the size of the steel stake. Kind of like a giant clock hand, then as you lay your brick you take the point around with you making sure your staying round. When you finnish the course take off the wood and lay a cored brick, the ones with the holes, over the stake this will keep the tool around the same height of the next course. I would do at least three rings thick.

I used to work for a guy who built fountians, I used to get dizzy laying bricks in a circle.

Good Luck
                        John

make sure the stake is solid and plum in all directions

Comment

This is what I love and hate about this site. You can get fantastic tips from guys like John who have been there, done that and at the same time feel like an idiot for not thinking of something so simple. I've been reading, reading and reading here for about three week and feel like I've can almost build this thing in my sleep. Oh, wait I have built it in my sleep. Many times. The hard part now is figuring out how I'm gonna be able to wait till September to start my WFO build.

Phil

Comment

Well, brick are a good option, but for a standard modular brick, that is a pretty tight radius. Make sure you are OK with the look before you buy a bunch of bricks. You may have to cut halfs or thirds.

Comment

I think the zig zag look of round things built of rectangular bricks is pretty cool. You could also cut the bricks in half at an angle to give yourself a uniform mortar gap.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                              X