Simple but effective way to put steam in your wfo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple but effective way to put steam in your wfo

I am going to build my door out of stainless steel, the door will be about 2 to 3 inches thick and on the inside of the door I will use that Insutated board (Cal-cil) as a insulation (2 or 3 layers).
    I then am thinking of making a hole in the door only about 1/3" to 1/2 a inch in diamiter. Obviously the hole will be drilled in the Stainless Steel first and then get a 1/3" or 1/2" inch Stainless Steel tube or bush and slot it in the holes and weld it right around so its all sealed neatly. You can then open and close this hole by using a piece of Stainless Steel that swings across the hole both on the inside of the door and the outside of the door as needed. You want to make sure you attach both the inner flap and out together via a 5mm rod so when you open the outer flap the inner one opens also. Alternativley you can have just the one flap that opens and closes on the outside if you wish.

The reason for this hole is simple yet very effective ONLY if one enjoys making bread using there WFO. You then purchase a new cheap garden pump spray bottle usually used for spraying insecticide, that ones that have the long steel nozzles. The whole idea is so you can just poke the steel nozzle in the hole, then with a gentle push of the trigger, which comes with these insecticide pumps. This way you can enter a fine mist of water which will turn into steam instintaniassly which is a MUST when baking bread and more importantly your not opening the door each time. However it will only be worth doing if you intend on cooking bread quite often.

P.s. I have attached a photo of the insecticide pumps so you get a better idea what I mean. Unfortunately this nozzle in the photo is not totally steel but they are easy to come across and look basically the same. Once my door is done I will post some photos.

Regards
    Dean
    Last edited by Wheels1974; 02-13-2010, 02:37 AM.

Re: Simple but effective way to put steam in your wfo

Thanks Dean,
    I have been placing a 5" pie tin filled with water inside the oven with the bread. Does this do the same thing ?
    At what stage of the cooking should the steam be introduced?
    Dave
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hey Dean,

I think thats a great idea... I am due for a new door soon,, I may just drill the hole and put a long heavy bolt thru it.. pull out the bolt as needed.. I hope it wont get too hot though.. If it does I will switch to your method...
      I have been placing a 5" pie tin filled with water inside the oven with the bread. Does this do the same thing ?
      David, Is the water gone when you open the oven again ?? I would say if the water is gone it probably steamed out of the tray.. I have baked some bread, but there are way more experienced people here,, Lets hear from you bread bakers please...I have been using a sprayer and give it a few heavy sprays and shut the door quick...
      cheers
      mark
      Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Got a little info on the steam question.

Modern bread ovens use a steam injection at the beginning of the
        baking process. The purpose of the steam is to keep the crust moist and to
        allow maximum oven spring before the crust sets.

Wood fired ovens do not have a steam facility (traditionally), and
        do not need it if there is enough bread in the oven, as a full load generates
        its own steam.

With a small load (or a small oven) you can generate the same
        effect by spraying the surface of the bread prior to loading, or by spraying the
        interior of the oven just prior to loading.

Also- need to use high protein flour to get maximum ovenspring.

Comment

That info was from an experienced baker. Yes the water in my pie tin has all gone so it seems I was doing the right thing

Comment

Working...
          X