Aluminum or wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aluminum or wood?

so what is the best way to clean/maintain your wooden peel? I feel weird washing it with dish soap and a scrubby pad, i feel like the wood will soak up the soap and water and the scrubby pad will rough up the soft wet wood.
    also, would it be wise to coat the peel with a thick shallack like coating?

Comment

I just wipe mine with a damp cloth. If it has stuff stuck to it I hit it with the dough scraper.

Comment

I am very much in the wooden peel for making pizza camp. Mine have burned flour streaks on the bottom where they touch the hearth but the top is clean. Never use water on the wooden peel for it will raise the grain and make it much more "sticky". I sanded mine lightly with 400 grit when I got it and it is about as nonstick as you can get. (Just don't leave wet dough on it for ten minutes!)

Once in the oven I LOVE my stainless 9 inch (maybe 8) round positioning peel. It does all the positioning in the oven and is usually used to remove the pizza from the oven. The smaller peel has huge advantages over an oversized peel when maneuvering in the oven!

Bake On!
        Jay

Comment

I agree with Jay on the small turning peel. Most of my pies are small enough to take out with the turning peel.
          I used rice flour this weekend and will use it forever. The pies slide off so easy and the four doesn't burn the bottom of the pie.
          Good stuff!

Tom
          Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Working...
          X