X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hodgey1
    replied
    Re: Pizza Sauce recipe questions

Sauce to me is as individual a taste as any component of pizza. I searched for years for the perfect recipe that gave me the flavor I craved from my favorite brick oven pizza shop "De Lucia's" in Raritan Nj.

After I made many very good sauces over the years, and spent lots of money on Imported ingredients, none where great. Finally, one day out of pure laziness and time constraints I dumped out a can of Red Pack brand crushed tomatoes. I added a little basil, a little oregano and a little granulated garlic and spread it on my home made dough. Wow, it was amazing. It was one of the best pizzas I've ever eaten. I think sauce is another one of the less is more parts of pizza.

I know, I know. No San whatever's ? No saut?ed this and that? No cooking all day and only on a full moon. Yes, I just dumped out of a can of everyday crushed tomatoes, uncooked and spooned on to a fresh dough. I love it! But like I said from the beginning, it's all a matter of a persons individuals taste.
    Last edited by hodgey1; 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM. Reason: Type-O

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied
    Re: Pizza Sauce recipe questions

My pizza sauce is just 100% tomato sugo /passatta.(mainly crushed boiled tomatoes and a bit of salt)
    I only add dried oregano as I make the pizza
    Then cheese and what ever else .
    It tastes fantastic......to me

Leave a comment:

• Jim Bob
    started a topic Pizza Sauce recipe questions

Pizza Sauce recipe questions

I have Peter R.'s recipe for his pizza sauce. Looks good, but my question is have you ever tried to add sauteed(in butter, of course!) shiitake mushrooms directly to the sauce? Also, I like to roast my chopped garlic clove(s) in olive oil prior to adding it to my sauce. Just have to be careful to only roast it lightly. Fresh garlic burns easily in the skillet. And trust me burnt garlic is very bitter and will ruin the sauce. I do use the San Marsano Tomatoes in the can from Costcos or Sams. I crush them roughly to leave small tomato pieces in the sauce. On the average I cook from 15-30 pizzas everytime I fire up my brick oven. Friends come out of the woodwork!! Ha. I get my Caputo 00 flour in 55 lb bags from Pennsylvania Macaroni Co. in Pittsburgh. About $1.00/lb plus shipping.
    Appreciate any comments anyone has on the above. Have a great day.

Jim Bob
Working...
X