• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hodgey1
    replied
    Re: Pizza Sauce recipe questions

JB
    That sounds like a great idea, will have to give it a try. We love garlic.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Bob
    replied

Chris,

Sounds very tasty. Not sure if you would do this, but try taking the whole cluster of fresh garlic cloves & roasting it first, then blend that with the olive oil prior to smearing it on the toasted pizza dough. Bet it would be delicious.

JB

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

JB
    Here's one of my fav's for leftover dough which would be awesome on the green egg. I haphazardly shape the dough kind rustic. I throw it on the preheated grill till that side is done. Turn over and smather with olive oil, garlic, a pinch of salt and serve as a side like garlic bread.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Bob
    replied

Chris,

Really liked the idea of larger doughballs. One that I should have thought of several yrs ago. It will cut our prep time almost in half with large crowds.

I did have 6 doughballs left over from Sat Nite and I combined them into 3 doughballs & continued to refrigerate them for 4 days. Cooked them on the Big Green Egg Monday nite. Very, very good. & yes, 2 people could easily split one 12-14" pizza.

We are still having some fantastic weather. Will be 80 degrees today, & on Sat the high will be 65!! Absolutely the best for firing up the oven.

Have a great day,

Jim Bob

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

JB
    Glad to here your party went well. Im envious, weather here flat out sucks. 44 degrees today and a wonderfull on-off misty rain.

I make my dough balls 330 grams each for around a 14" pizza. I normally figure that each pie will feed two adults.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Bob
    replied

The party went well & the pizzas turned out to be my best effort in 5 yrs. I attribute it to the full kneading of the dough & hiding the rolling pin!!! Did all by hand & crowd was impressed. Also I had excellent control over the heat in the oven for some reason. Temp was easy to maintain about 700-750 on floor & 800 on ceiling. This balance in temp allows me to create a nice crust on bottom without burning the top. Weather was unbelievable. 60 degrees even as late as 11:00 pm with a mild southern breeze. My next change(as I always want to do better!)will be to make larger dough balls. Making 8 pizzas from 1000 gms of flour is not enough dough to really work with or "slap around". Will try 6 next time.

Then to top it off, I put a picnic shoulder in oven at 10:00 pm, put door on & forgot it until 7:00 am this morning. Absolutely fall apart tender. I had put dry rub on it & covered with alum foil. Temp in oven this am was 310 on floor, & 410 on ceiling.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Yikes...we had mid-fifties today with gusts around 20+...great weather for working on the oven, though I had to mix the mortar in smaller batches.

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

JB
    How did the pizza party go? I hope well. It's 39* here and gale force winds. Not a good night for a pizza party. Roast chicken and mashed Tate's, comfort food.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Bob
    replied

I just googled the difference between Semolina vs Polenta. Here is the web site that will tell all.
    The difference between polenta and semolina | Baking With Gab

Apparently Semolina is made from wheat & polenta is made from corn. Hope this clears it up.

JB

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

Dave
    Thats funny, it sounds like in Aust that they call corn meal Semolina. Semolina as i know it here is a Italian course flour primarily used in making pasta. It gets absorbed into the crust very well and adds no crunchy bits to the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by hodgey1 View Post
    Hello Dave
    Oblong pizzas eat the same as round ones! Thanks for the tip on the rice flour, I'll give it a try. I use semolina because I don't like the crunch of corn meal.
    Gudday
    Sometimes it can gets a little confusing with term used for different things.
    I was under the impression that cornmeal was the same as semolina.
    Polenta is the term we use for semolina just to add to the interest. But one thing I do know for certain polenta does leave crunchy bits on the base
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 10-25-2013, 08:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Bob
    replied

I just want to use the Semolina for the dough ball prep like the gal did in the UTube video. Apparently it keeps the flour dust to a minimum which would help. On the peel I, like CobblerDave, use rice flour. It doesn't burn as bad as corn meal & has very little flavor to it. Chris, you sound like a rebel, and I like it!!!
    Jim Bob

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

Hello Dave
    Oblong pizzas eat the same as round ones! Thanks for the tip on the rice flour, I'll give it a try. I use semolina because I don't like the crunch of corn meal.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Chris
    Thanks for thinking if me, I probably will never achieve those perfect round pizza
    It's operator error I'm afraid
    Re I don't use semolina , don't like the crunchy bits , I use rice flour it doesn't seem to burn as readily as flour.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

The semolina is pretty common around here in grocery stores. I use it for my peel and like it way better than corn meal. On the subject of kneading, I've done it by hand, stand mixer and now my prefered favorite way is 50 seconds in the food processor and done! It's quick and the results are awesome. Some may argue that but try it, you'll never go back!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X