Local ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local ingredients

Inishita, it seems like these are just our EU ingredients!
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Nice thread!

In Colorado, we have nothing in the winter except great skiing. In the summer we have some of the best corn anywhere (olathe), excellent western slope peaches (I was a Georgia peach fan until I tasted a Colorado peach) so juicy they run down your chin. Also excellent cantaloupe also from the western part of the state. Snow on the ground again this morning. The summer farmer's markets still seem pretty far off...

Drake

Thought of one more, we have an excellent local goat cheese (Haystack Mountain).
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Drake, I don't know what happened to the cheese club co-op but that Goat cheese would make a nice contribution....we just love goat cheeses!

I'll trade you for a paella pan!

Comment

Turkey is the second largest producer of honey in the world, after China, with 4 million hives and around 70,000 tons of production. In our area, Mugla province, pine honey or cam (pronounced jam) bal is famous. It is also known as honeydew. As well as the commercial apiarists thousands of families earn a living from bees. Cicek (pronounced jijek) bal is flower honey and comes in a vast array of unifloral (honey made from one flower type) and multifloral types. There is a lot of Narenciye Bal or citrus honey in my area as we are a major grower of oranges , lemon and grapefruit. It can be bought in jars or direct from the hive in the comb, known as Petek Bal. Delicious

As reported earlier I love it with yogurt for breakfast but use it a lot in glazes for roasting and BBQ'ing and as a sugar replacement.

Comment

For some reason I'd rather have the honey from Turkey....China get's a lot of bad press about their food production....we try and boycott but they're becoming the supermarket to the world!

We do get all sorts of different honey's here too....Almond, eucalyptis, rosemary, lemon, orange, wildflower.....way cool.

Anyone want the WFO biscotti recipe with almonds?

XJ

Comment

I was idly thinking about taking up bee keeping the other day. Homade honey! I'll get onto it as soon as I've perfected my salami and wine making skills...

Has anyone on the Forum done that at all?

And one thing I've always wanted to know: How do they make honey from only one particular flower? Train the bees?
              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Wine yes, salami no...but I'd do taste tests on your's....what to trade for.

I assume that they put the hives in the orange/almond groves, etc.....they are definately flavored with orange/honey blossoms! Them busy bees

Comment

They move the bees to where the type of flowers are in an abundance. They also take out all the frames of honey and put in new ones so all the honey in the new frames was gathered in a few weeks when, say, the clover is blooming.

My Dad used to have bees, but none of us kids could stand getting stung. My Dad would put some smoke in the hive and go right in with nothing but pants (tied at the bottom - he hated bees climbing up his legs) and long sleeves - no veil or gloves

Chuck

Comment

Thanks Chuck, that makes sense. Always did wonder about that...

Jim, is that what would be known as trading in wine and salami futures?
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Lots of meats and cheeses to choose from

...here's some black pudding rings for George too!

Comment

Inish,
                        The honey bees are all dying off around here. They're estimating that the shortage of bees will cause billions of dollars to California's fruit industry. Try fruit flies - they're easy!
                        GJBingham
                        -----------------------------------
                        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

XJ,
                          I couldn't view the pics for some reason. I'll check 'em again later so I know what to watch out for.
                          G.
                          GJBingham

-

Comment

GJ I just clicked on them and they worked...

Comment

Afternoon - works now! I so miss those shops. The hams make my mouth water. The salami - Mmmmmmm. I assume the dark/blackish rings are the clotted blood....., uh er, black pudding rings?
                              GJBingham

-

Comment

Si, por supuesto...salchica morcilla

and now the local rice, fresh vegetables and seafood for the paella!

todos Valenciano autenticos

Comment

Working...
                                X