X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buffalo mozzarella and toxic waste dumping in Naples

Originally posted by trockyh View Post
    Another reason to buy local.
    Yes, I full agree! It is surprising just how much good local produce is avaiable. For example, the local canned roma tomatoes are as a good as (if not a bit better - dare I say that) ... than the San Marzano DOPs. I paid $10 /can for DOP and buy canned romas here for about $1.20. Not worth the difference in price in my view - even more so now with this toxic business going on!

Still want to try Caputo though - to see what all the fuss is about..

Rossco
    / Rossco

Comment

Rossco,

I've tried both the San Marzano tomatoes and the Caputo flour. They are both really good, but I think the tomatoes from my garden are just as good and I know the soil they are grown in. I would be real interested in knowing about the flour and where the wheat is grown.

Tom
      Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Yes, I won't be buying any more DOP tomatoes. I have been able to get some really good soil and add dynamic lifter specially formulated for tomatoes and grow in pots with good results.

The Caputo is another story but I am determined to try it ... soon I hope!!

Rossco
        / Rossco

Comment

Regarding the flour and the toxic waste dumping, I am not worried that the flour is a problem simply because I don't believe the wheats come from Italy at all. It is very likely American or Canadian. If I am wrong about that, I still don't think it's from Campania, though.
          As for trying Caputo vs. any other Italian 00, King Arthur's mock 00, or anything else, there is a notable difference and while it may or may not be to any individual's tastes, it is closer to what I remember eating in Naples over 45 years ago. In a sense, if you know what you are going for, you may have to experiment till you get what you want. If you don't really know what it is you are trying to attain, the difference may be moot. Still, I would - and have - try as many different types of flours but using the same procedures and remaining ingredients and do a series of tests.

Comment

Caputo prides itself on its blending formula to attain the characteristics needed for the product and it's ability to provide that blend consistently. That is why their flours have a very short shelf life for the characteristic it is famous for in comparison to domestic brands in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by kimemerson View Post
              ...What I am worried about is the San Marzano tomatoes as well as the mozzarella. I read that the buffalo mozzarella is customarily not pasteurized, and that pasteurization of the buffalo milk will make it safe. I can't say for certain, but I am under the impression that non-pasteurized milk products aren't allowed in the U.S. so I don't know what I've been buying. Do they even make any pasteurized mozzarella?

... it is highly toxic, not just household garbage. It's chemicals. Just read the last chapter and you won't look at a city garbage truck the same way again.

The chemicals are indeed the main problem here, rather than microbial contamination. Pasteurization won't do anything to help you there; it's just a heat treatment of the milk prior to cheesemaking to kill off any unwanted bacteria, typically to about 165-185F.

As far as unpasteurized products in the US, that's not at all true. Unpasteurized products must be labeled as such, but are definitely available. Imported cheeses are often unpasteurized, and a number of cheesemakers here are adopting more traditional, artisinal methods including the use of unpasteurized milk. In fact, a few years back the regulations were actually relaxed slightly to allow plain raw milk to be sold commercially directly to the public. Try looking in your local food co-op (if you're lucky enough to have a good one in your area), botique and high-end grocers, and import stores. You should find at least some selection of appropriate cheese. The Vermont and California cheeses are not perfect, but they're getting better over time. I've read pretty good reviews of Bubalus cheese in California recently; if you can't find it locally, they deliver via ups next-day, although with that shipping it will cost almost as much as the Italian stuff.
              -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Working...
              X