Soapstone as a pizza stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soapstone as a pizza stone

I don't think it would make much difference in my gas oven. I'm getting great spring and the oven temps don't dip much or for long. I have a cast iron fry pan on the bottom rack and dump a cup of hot water into this as well as mist the top of the loafs as they go in. I think I'm done with the thermal mass improvements in the gas oven. I'm really looking forward to cooking pizza side by side in the WFO. One pizza cooked on the SStone, and one on the brick deck. My expectation is that the SStone pizza will cook quicker and the crust will be crisper.

I'll let you know what happens.

Chris

Comment

Please do. BTW, our live in college student/baby sitter showed me an ad for a product called 'whiskey stones'. If you haven't heard of them, they are nothing but soapstone cubes with rounded edges that are placed in the freezer prior to pouring your favorite beverage over. Personally, I prefer the nuance of melting ice to mellow out my single malts, but will be giving this a try once I have some SS cutoffs after I cut my oven floor.

Comment

This natural quarried stone is softer than most other naturally occurring minerals. Although it is soft, soapstone is a very dense and non-porous stone; denser than marble, slate, limestone and even granite. Because soapstone is impenetrable, it will not stain, as liquid will not permeate the surface.

A soapstone pizza stone has great thermal properties that mimic the effects of cooking a pizza in a masonry oven. In fact a soapstone pizza stone has significantly more thermal mass than metal or glass pans. soapstone maintains heat longer then any natural stone. The non-porous nature of soapstone results in a crisper crust.

Soapstone pizza stones have no taste. This makes them perfect for cooking.

Soapstone pizza stones are incredibly versatile and not only can be used in a oven but on a grill as well.

You can use your soapstone pizza stone to grill any kind of food from fresh vegetables to chicken.

Soapstone pizza stones can also be used to cook pastries and other pre-baked products.

Soapstone pizza stones can be used as a hot plate for keeping food fresh and warm on the dinner table.

Soapstone pizza stones retain cold as well as heat. You can put them in the freezer and use them as a dessert platter to keep fruit and desserts cool for extended periods of time.

Jay

Comment

Working...
        X