Views:	1
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	318215

Click image for larger version

Name:	3a.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	318216

I saw some people used marble as pizza stones, so I quickly made my own this afternoon, using some marble that I had.

Dimensions, 40.5 cm (16 inches) X 31.5 cm (12/half inches) Thickness is 3 cm or a inch and a bit.
    Took less then 2hours to cut with a small stone cutting bladed grinder and a normal mouse sander for quick sanding of rougher edges.

Tell what you think!

Re: Home made pizza stone

Marble is not very refractory. It is unlikely to handle the heat required to cook the pizzas.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      Marble is not very refractory. It is unlikely to handle the heat required to cook the pizzas.
      +1

Marble's great for pizzeria countertops and oven staging areas, but you never want to expose it to heat, as it's resistance to thermal shock is pretty much non existent.

Comment

Thank you for the comments.
        I don't have my WBO yet, so I will use it in the normal oven for testing.
        Since it didn't take long to make, I don't mind experimenting with it. I can after all make another.
        And if nothing else, I can serve pizzas on it, to keep it warm, because it does take and hold some heat.

Comment

Ironwave, I'd be very careful with the marble. This is about more than just the marble cracking and being easily replaced with a new piece. We're talking about the possibility of it failing violently. Materials with especially little resistance to thermal shock can, under the right conditions, explode when exposed to extreme changes in heat.

Comment

Okays, thanks for the warning.

It will be a serving tray or cutting board then.

Comment

I have a sandstone paver for a pizza stone now. Its a sedimentary rock (silica though), but it has so far survived in my stove without cracking, unlike the terracotta stones I bought for about 7 times the price
              Watavidone,

Because it is so soft, I would think that sandstone would not hold up to the rigors of WFO cooking. Can you describe the refractory properties/performance of your sandstone pizza stone in your oven? I have a gorgeous piece of sandstone that I am curious to try out in my WFO after its finished... if it makes sense.
              John

Comment

Thanks, W. That was quite an elegant response! From your input, I'm gonna go back to to my original idea of finding a suitable application for my quite attractive (3" thick and heavy) slab of sandstone. Maybe I could acid-etch some kind of fictitious Pizzaria name on it!

John

Comment

Pray tell when you find out when how it perform in your WBO,
                  I couldn't find soapstone in South Africa yet, but sand stone is plenty full.

Comment

Dear wotavidone; Thank you for the update.

Can you give me the dimensions of your stone?
                    especially the thickness. I will certainly look out for one.

I'm getting closer and closer to building my oven.
                    I have almost all the refractory bricks that is needed.
                    I was lucky enough to find a supplier that makes them slightly triangular, so it will work well with the dome.

I have about 50 bricks at the moment. I have to go work out now exactly where and how big i want it, so i can see exactly how many stones i need.

Comment

Working...
                    X