Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever made Weber Grill Pizza on a Stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villa Roma
    replied
    Re: Anyone ever made Weber Grill Pizza on a Stone?

I posted 2 videos on YouTube to demonstrate the Little Black Egg. The first video is a tour of the LBE and the second video is a demo of a pizza making session. The pizza dough is 50% stone ground whole grain.

YouTube - Little Black Egg

YouTube - Little Black Egg Cooks Pizza

Villa Roma

Leave a comment:

• Villa Roma
    replied

Originally posted by Michael W View Post
    I have really enjoyed all of the recipes and ideas on pizza on the grill. I just acquired a granite stone that is made to fit the size of my grill. I can't wait to test out some of the other ideas that this forum has given me!
    Welcome Michael W,

Granite? Now you're "Rockin"! Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Let us know how it works out, hopefully with pics.

In the meantime I delved into the wonderfull world of rye. For this batch I used 1/3 stone ground rye flour coupled with a rye preferment. No yeast was used.

Villa Roma
    Last edited by Villa Roma; 07-05-2007, 01:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael W
    replied

I have really enjoyed all of the recipes and ideas on pizza on the grill. I just acquired a granite stone that is made to fit the size of my grill. I can't wait to test out some of the other ideas that this forum has given me!

Leave a comment:

• canadianbacon
    replied

Thank you for the welcome James, and thanks for the info,
    nice to see that there are other Canadians !

By the way, - I am an avid pizza maker, and also a smoker, - during the summer months. I mostly do ribs on my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker, but have never tried pizza --- yet -- that is

Thanks again, looks like a great board, and lots of great people here.

Originally posted by james View Post
    Welcome aboard Bacon,

You are not alone. We have a good Canadian contingency in our community.
    James

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Welcome aboard Bacon,

You are not alone. We have a good Canadian contingency in our community.
    James

Leave a comment:

• canadianbacon
    replied

yup, the pizza really looks great !

thanks for posting those images.

my first post by the way, thanks to Villa Roma for steering me
    to this website !

Leave a comment:

• Villa Roma
    replied

I was going to make pizza on the grill but the weather was bad so I went with plan B. I used the regular electric oven and let the oven recoup it's heat for five minutes between pizzas. Not as good as the grill or as fast but not bad either.

I used GM all pupose flour, water and salt. The starter was made from pineapple juice and flour but no yeast. 48 hour rise in the refer.

Villa Roma
    Last edited by Villa Roma; 06-16-2007, 07:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PizzaPolice
    replied

Hey Barbara!

If you go to PizzaMaking.com - Pizza Making, Pizza Recipes, and More! and snoop around, you'll a bunch of posts concerning your issue. One dude, PFTaylor, made his bones on this subject alone.
    You'll see references to using old pizza stones, unglazed quarry tiles and even the odd mention of inverting an iron skillet. They all work. I even have an old post about the Za-Grill!
    So in short, it can be done and done well.
    Have fun,
    PizzaPolice
    Last edited by PizzaPolice; 06-10-2007, 10:51 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot and can't remember stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Villa Roma
    replied

This weekend I made a batch of Hawaiin pizza on the grill. (see pics)

Next time I'm going to take a stab at making a batch of Neopoltan style pizza. I usually use sugar and oil in the dough but for Neopolitan style I'm just going to use flour, water, yeast and salt. I'll also skip the whole wheat flour and go with just white flour. I'll crank the heat up and post pictures if it turns out respectful. This may take a few attempts so hang loose!

Villa Roma
    Last edited by Villa Roma; 06-10-2007, 07:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny L
    replied

V.R.
    I have been following along. Very nice!
    I was going to ask if you used a pan under your stone to avoid direct heat, but since your's lasted 10 years I guess it's not a problem.

Good work! Thank you for sharing this.
    John

Leave a comment:

• Villa Roma
    replied

[QUOTE=maver;10450]Villa Roma, you are a pizza crazy genius. I love what you've done. I agree with James that it would be interesting to try insulation to shorten the baking time, although I wonder if it would be of value without more mass than the two baking stones in there. Do you know what temperatures you are at? An infrared thermometer aimed at the stone would be good.[/QUOTE]

I got my IR thermometer in and made pizza this weekend. The stone gets to 650 degrees average. The outside of the oven is about 250 degrees.

I'm only running about half throttle on the gas so I imagine I can get the temp up to 800 or above without any problem.

I made an experimental batch of pizza and it came out OK. I'm going back to GM Harvest King flour. This one was 1/3 each whole wheat, unbleached all pupose and harvest king.

Villa Roma
    Last edited by Villa Roma; 06-10-2007, 06:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Excellent. Thanks for those Villa Roma. I really enjoy the bread from central Europe -- Switzerland, Germany, Austria. Those look great. Perfect hearty bread to get you going in the morning.
    James

Leave a comment:

• Villa Roma
    replied

Here's some pics of the bread.

Villa Roma

Leave a comment:

• Villa Roma
    replied

I drove my bicycle to Duddledorf today and picked up some white whole wheat flour and a couple of loaves of bread at the bakery. The flour looks really light and fluffy with a very fine grind. I took some pictures and included some shots of Hodgson mills whole wheat graham flour for comparison. I haven't made pizza with the flour yet but I should be able to make a batch this weekend. Stay tuned.

Villa Roma

Leave a comment:

• Villa Roma
    replied

Originally posted by james View Post
    Hey Villa Roma,

Can you describe how flour works in Germany? We've had input on American, Canadian, Italian and French flour, and it would be good to learn how the German system works. German bread is wonderful, and I am guessing there must be a connection between the bread and the flour you can buy.
    James
    I really haven't delt with German flour as I am an American civilian working here for the Air Force. I buy my groceries in the commisary and that means I purchase the same flour that you guys get back in the states. Usually GM Harvest King and Hodgsons Mill WW graham flour.

Almost every small town has a bakery so ther really isn't a big need to make your own as the breads here are excellent. They use a lot of grains and seeds in their breads along with sourdough cultures to produce some nice old world style loafs with thick crusts. It seems it would be difficult to replicate this type of bread at home and with an abundance of bakeries, why bother.

One bakery even has a truck that travels to the small towns and stops periodically like the ice cream trucks in the states. Sometimes I ride my bicycle on the old farm roads to Duddledorf where there is a nice bakery and a pretzel factory. Duddledorf is where Patton drove his tank through and the scrape marks are still evident on the stone walls. Weather permitting, I may take a spin up there this weekend.

Villa Roma
    Last edited by Villa Roma; 05-27-2007, 07:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X