dough in individual containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dough in individual containers

I've been working with Rienhart's NY style pizza dough lately and having pretty good results. My question lies in the containers. I bought some 5 cup plastic containers with lids and put the dough into them for the final rise. During this process we had a container pop open and knock the other containers over. I went through and burped all the containers, and then did it a second tie a little later when I noticed the lids ready to blow again.

What am I doing wrong? I've never read about it on any thread that I can recall. I do like having the dough in the containers. It would seem that leaving it slightly open would/could create a 'skin'?

I would like to try a longer fermentation, but I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Re: dough in individual containers

You are not doing anything wrong. The pop is proof positive that the yeast is doing its thing. I am assuming you are using the disposable versions of the containers. The seal on these containers is just not that great. If you want to upgrade, use the food grade containers made by Cambro. I rarely, if ever, see them pop. To be honest, I started with the Cambro containers. Lately, I have not been using them. I have been using the Glad disposable containers. They are more compact to store and they are easier to wash. Hope this helps!

Comment

I am using food grade trays similar to those used in many pizzarias. I can get six to eight balls per tray. They easily fit in my refrigerator and two or three are plenty for anything I do. I simply start pulling them about two hours before we start pizza and pull another each hour or so and the dough is near peak perfect.

I also use the individual containers but I don't seal them. A small crack won't cause a skin - skins indicate low humidity. That should not be a problem. Oiling the ball also helps prevent skin.

Hang in there!
      Jay

Comment

I use the glad "disposables" (I've had the same set for three years) and when I bought them, i poked a small (eyeglass size) screwdriver through the center of each lid. It's not much, but I've never had one blow.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

OK, I really like the little hole idea, and I didn't oil the balls prior to plopping them in the containers. 2 more items to remember!

I've been looking for used dough boxes on Craigslist... maybe soon.
          My oven (for now):

Comment

How much yeast are you using? Perhaps try the biga method. The was a recent thread on this topic that may be of interest.
            / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by Tman1 View Post
              I've been looking for used dough boxes on Craigslist... maybe soon.
              They are not as slick as dough boxes but I bought individual containers from the Dollar Tree - 4 for a dollar.
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

My Glad container lids have pinholes in them too.
                George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I use the plastic ones (no holes, I just burp them every day or so) and was just given the metal ones, I have yet to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                    was just given the metal ones
                    TS, I'm no expert by any stretch but a chef told me not to proof dough in stainless steel. She said it would tend to "grey" the dough. She mentioned that when I told her I was mixing my dough in my K.A. Anyone have experience with this??
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I have never seen stainless steel affect the color of a straight pizza dough. I do know from experience that if eggs are left in stainless steel, you will get gray/green eggs. Perhaps the chef was talking about a brioche or pate brise dough that has some egg content.

Comment

They are spun aluminum, not SS. I was given them by a pizzaria owner, he has hundreds of them and uses them with no problems.

The picture doesn't show the shape, this is them:

http://fgpizza.com/store/page16.html
                        Last edited by Tscarborough; 04-27-2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I also have those aluminum containers. I got them at a local Costco Business Center. The containers were like a couple of bucks each and the lids were like a buck each at most. The containers stack upon themselves without the lids so you don't need a lid for each.
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
                            How much yeast are you using? Perhaps try the biga method. The was a recent thread on this topic that may be of interest.
                            Recipe calls for 0.33 oz of yeast. I haven't seen that thread.
                            My oven (for now):

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                              They are not as slick as dough boxes but I bought individual containers from the Dollar Tree - 4 for a dollar.
                              I got mine for a good price, but when I go mobile, I won't want to deal with a hundred little containers.
                              My oven (for now):

Comment

Working...
                              X