This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pizza Sauce Recipes

Simple uncooked sauce that my family loves. I usually make a couple different pizza's so the recipe is enough for one 16".

One medium fresh tomato
    3 sundried tomato's (from a jar)
    1 roasted red pepper in olive oil (from a jar)
    2 cloves garlic
    EVOO
    salt/pepper/italian seasoning
    fresh grated parmesan cheese

I put this all in the food processor until smooth.

I also use Mozzerella cheese, then top with a little asiago and parmesan.

Comment

Currently using:

Two 400g tins chopped or plum tomatoes (drained)
      1 100g tomato paste
      handful fresh oregano
      twist of pepper

Think I'm going to try a sweet garlicy sauce tomorrow for garlic breads (pizza pomadora style)

Also fancy the idea of growing some San Marzanos this summer, just discovered Mr fothergills sell them!

San MArzanos
      sigpic "Why can't you just have a BBQ like normal people?"

Comment

Thanks for your form. I am trying do better.

Comment

For a tomato sauce I use 50/50 tomato paste and pasta sauce with some garlic added. It seeems to make a sauce with just the right consistency and very easy to prepare.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

An old italian guy who came to the resteraunt i worked at and put on an "italian week" showed and explained how to make a pizza......it went like this;

luciano- the sauce for pizza is strained tomatoes.
            lance- you kidding me? wheres the garlic,spices,herbs....?
            luciano- LANCE YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING NO F%&$#%@ SPICES OR HERBS!!!
            lance - (quietly thinking he is crazy, it will taste bland)
            luciano - all the flavour comes from the ingredients
            lance - (still thinking... this guy has had too much wine)

He then proceeds to make the pizza and he puts next to nothing for toppings and the same for cheese.

lance- you need more cheese than that dont you?
            luciano - Just gives me the look.

He cooks the pizza pulls it out and says this is the best pizza you have ever had! Believe me i wanted to tell him it was just OK but it made my mouth dance, by far the best i ever had. The whole point of this post is to build the flavour with the ingredients and dont be so focused on the sauce which 9/10 times overpowers the whole experience.

So my recipe for pizza sauce is strained tomatoes!

Comment

quick question or two about tomato sauce. once you open a can of tomatoes and add ingredients such as garlic simmered in olive oil, and put in a container in the fridge, how long will this sauce be good?? also if the sauce mixture including the tomatoes are simmered and cooked and put in the fridge, how long will this be good? would like to make more sauce than i need for one nights cooking and have the sauce on hand. probably a dumb question but needed to ask anyway. thanks.

Comment

I think Tomato based products keep a lot longer than most. I say if you don't see any "mold" and it tastes okay - it should be fine.

I would think a sauce would keep for 3-4 weeks but I'm not "food safety" expert.

Dick

Comment

I make an uncooked sauce from a can of San Marzano tomatoes unstrained. Add some italian seasoning, a clove or two of garlic and mash it all together with a pastry blender. Usually comes out pretty darn good. Unless I'm making my favorite pizza (carmelized onions, prosciutto, sun dried tomatoes all on top of an Alfredo sauce, then covered with fresh grated asiago cheese)

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by genew View Post
                    quick question or two about tomato sauce. once you open a can of tomatoes and add ingredients such as garlic simmered in olive oil, and put in a container in the fridge, how long will this sauce be good?? also if the sauce mixture including the tomatoes are simmered and cooked and put in the fridge, how long will this be good? would like to make more sauce than i need for one nights cooking and have the sauce on hand. probably a dumb question but needed to ask anyway. thanks.
                    Always make a fresh sauce whenever you make your pizza. Unless your gonna have pizza again the next day. Keep it simple so the sauce does not overpower the ingredients! The sauce is like the foundation of a house-very important but covered up, you know its there but its not the main focus.

Comment

Originally posted by rtnaw View Post
                      I make an uncooked sauce from a can of San Marzano tomatoes unstrained. Add some italian seasoning, a clove or two of garlic and mash it all together with a pastry blender. Usually comes out pretty darn good.
                      Rob
                      The same here, except that I pick out the tomatoes, and leave the sauce behind -- and I put it through a food mill. Fast and excellent. But you need to start with really good tomatoes.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I do the canned San Marzano's also. I do drain a little liquid out of the can and put in the food processor. My twist, that I learned from another message board is to take dry spices, rosemary, fennel, basil, oregano, and ? and put them in a bowl. Wet them and put in the microwave for 30 seconds on defrost. It releases the oils and aromatics. Then I put some fresh garlic in the San Marzano's along with the spices and salt & pepper. I use what I can, and then I put a pizza's worth of sauce in a ziplock bag(s) and then throw them in the freezer for the next batch of pizza's.

Comment

I love just a tin of tomatoes roughly mushed up, with a bit of oregano and chopped basil, a squeeze of lemon juice and a little salt!
                          My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
                          My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

ditto, except red wine vinegar instead of lemon juice.

Comment

Try adding a cup of red wine! Red Wine is said to bring on different flavors in tomatoes the tongue can't detect without the alcohol in red wine.

Comment

CURRY PIZZA SAUCE

1/2 cup plain yogurt
                                1/4 cup coconut milk
                                1 tbls curry spices
                                1/4 tsp cayenne
                                1 clove garlic
                                1 tbls minced onion
                                1 tbls fresh chopped cilantro
                                1 tbls ghee (clarified butter)
                                salt and pepper to taste

Cook this sauce until onion and garlic become mushy.

Comment

Working...
                                X