Most important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most important?

John.....I'm having childhood flashbacks of filling my pizza cravings. My mother would by the Chef Boy Ardee pizza kits but never any of the proper toppings.....I was always stuck with the nasty sauce it came with but I've never been able to stomach the "sawdust" grated parm.....I would actually put american cheese, hot dogs, bologna, sausage or whatever else I could find in the fridge along with the only "fresh" items we had (onions and peppers from our garden). Probably started when I was ten or so...continued right through high school (although over time I was able to convince mom to pick up mozzarella and pepperoni). Kind of makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, thinking of some of the "toppings" I used.....hey, it was pizza...sort of.

RT
    Last edited by RTflorida; 04-18-2008, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Almost forgot.......VELVEETA, we always had what seemed like a ten lb. brick of it on hand...I prefered the american cheese, if we had enough.

Comment

Originally posted by John Fahle View Post
        Personally, I think Boboli for the dough. Top it with a little Ragu Genuine Italian Pizza Sauce, some Kraft American Cheese, and Oscar Meyer bologna slices (much cheaper than pepperoni, and you really can't taste the difference), and that's a pizza pie! Microwave on high for five minutes. Mangia!
        Hi John............how do you feel about the concept of excommunication............

Comment

Originally posted by John Fahle View Post
          <snip>
          Microwave on high for five minutes. Mangia!
          Microwave?! Doesn't seem to appear in the poll choices :-)

Cheers,

LMH
          "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Would that be with or without the fancy piece of cardboard so useful for "crisping" the crust while it is "nuked"...

RT someone here told me of childhood pizzas like you mention...except that he liked them...said his mother used to clean out the fridge when she made pizza...
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I'll go with the hot chicks too!....probably THE most important aspect;-)

Comment

For me one of the most important facets has been to learn to manage the oven so I tend to put ALL oven related issues first. I.e. proper dome and hearth temps and flames up the dome. The need and benefit of great dough are a given for me. The variable is oven management and keeping the balance of dome, hearth, and flame at the right balance. When I first got my oven the first pizza would typically be a bit on the brown/black side and then I would get two to four or so great pizzas followed by some that were not so nice. Now that I pay much more attention to the balance my pizzas are much more consistent from beginning to end.

Comment

for some reason i cannot seem to get up to 800 degrees in my "easy bake oven" guess I'll have to change the wattage. LOL
                  Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

Bob,
                    Try a hallogen light bulb! That should do it. :-)

It's fun seeing an older thread come back to life. Can I vote for almost all of the above? You need high dome heat, high floor heat, flame lapping in the dome, even temperature top and bottom, great dough and not too many ingredients. Yikes!
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Yeah, but I think the hearth needs to be "soaked" with heat and hot!
                      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

The Easy-Bake Oven left me LOFL. Very funny!

I encountered a good example of BAD oven management last night. Went to a new location of a good Italian restaurant that features a "WFO" in the open kitchen. At first glance it looked legit - wood, flames up the back, etc. We sat where I could see the oven and I quickly noted the "wood" in the oven was fake and the flames were too predictable so it had to be natural gas. Then I saw the pizza cook (I dare not honor him with the term pizzaiola!) reach inside with a towel to retrieve a frypan and I KNEW it was no where near hot enough. We quickly decided to order something OTHER than the pizza. A few minutes later three pale, undercooked, pizzas were delivered to the table next to us and our decision was validated.

Long live hot ovens and open flames! (and down with mediocre pizzas!)
                        Jay

Comment

Working...
                        X