• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asudavew
    replied
    Re: Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza

Yep!
    I've done this numerous times.

But not good to try on Pizza night. Too HOT!!!!

The next day! Perfect. About 350-400 degree f WFO is about right.
    3pm the next day..?

About three hours ahead of time, maybe longer.
    Grab the dough from the fridge. (you made extra the day before.. right?) 250 gram dough ball.... or so... maybe a bit more for thicker crust.

Let it sit for about an hour to warm up.

Anyways.Put a least a 1/4 cup of oil in the pan. (I assume they are 12 inch pans) Oil from an olive please!

Try not to get oil on the sides of the pan. (you want your crust to stick to the sides while it rises) >>>> Don't worry it wont stick while it cooks... Now just roll out your dough with a rolling pin .. sure! go ahead! roll it out, it won't hurt it.

Try rolling it about 1.5 inches larger than the pan.

Now the hard part.... Place it in the pan and try to get about a 3/4 inch crust pushed up the sides of the pan. Here is where oil on the sides or where oil on the crust portion of the dough will cause it to slide down to the bottom of the pan...

After you are done, pushing the sides back up, stretching it some more, pushing the sides up again, wondering how you got oil all over it, pushing the sides up some more...
    pushing one side up while pulling the other down.. you are good!

Now just let it rise.. at least a few hours.. longer if the house is cooler.

It should get good and thick and bubbly.... I'm getting hungry!

Now .. Chicago style.. Toppings on the bottom, cheese too. Yep! Cheese too.
    Now the sauce goes on the top. (i'm sure you already know this)
    Then a nice sprinkling of Parmesan... Get the good stuff! 11-12 bucks a pound but last's a long time and is well worth it!

and bake

At least thirty minutes.

It also works fine as a traditional deep dish... sauce on bottom, cheese, toppings, (and here's the really good part!) - MORE CHEESE
    Stack that sucker to dang near the top.!!

Now if you like pizza where the cheese strings as you pull off a slice........Then this IS the pie for you! Oh so good, and cooked with retained heat. Bake until brown and bubbly.
    A beautiful pie, cooked in a beautiful WFO! Life is good!

On a side note... Sunday's at my house consist of breakfast pizzas many days.

Deep dish as above, but a very very light coat of sauce. More white color than red color on the dough. Then add cheese (cheddar and mozzarella work) sliced onions, peppers, ham, cooked bacon, and more cheese. Then scramble a couple of eggs and pour them over the top. Bake till browned!

Oh so good!

Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

And don't burn the roof of your mouth............ I always do!
    Hot pizza always leaves little pieces of skin hanging from the roof of my mouth...why can't I wait.. WHY! WHY! WHY!

As you were.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

I dream of a Pizza Papalis deep dish stuffed pizza sometimes. The dough definitely has oil in it, and has almost a biscuity, buttery crunch where it touches the pan. I'd cruise the Chicago section of pizzamaking.com to get inspiration and starting points for dough formulas. It's a lot to wade through, but there's some very good information over there.

I can't wait to see the results of your experiments!

Leave a comment:

• wlockhart
    replied

Those Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizzas are great! Here's a place to find a history of Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza and a pretty good recipe.

Let me know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for...

Happy pizza making!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    started a topic Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza

Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza

Hey all,

I was browsing around the local restaurant supply store in town. They have stacks of used "Pizza Hut" style deep dish pans. I'm thinking of picking up a couple to make some deep dish pies.

Has anyone tried this? I was surprised that a search on the forum didn't yield any results.

If I give it a try, I'll need some guidance on crust and baking temps (for conventional or brick ovens).

I'm guessing the crust may be a slight variation of our "standard" wood fired crust. Temperature will be considerably lower than normal (maybe 500-600f?).

Any ideas or experience out there? Dave, didn't you throw dough for a bit at a pizza place? (or will I be the guinea pig? )
Working...
X