X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horrocks007
    replied
    Re: Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza

I am going to try this in my WFO tonight.

I am doing one thing different, I learned from doing some work for Pizza Hut, that you must proof the dough in the pan with the oil. You only need partially roll it out before putting it in the pan. Once the dough proofs in the pan you just push it the rest of the way with your fingers. Proofing the dough this way sucks up the oil, if you don't do that you will have a pool of oil that stays in the bottom of your pan and the pizza doesnt bake right and crust will be fimlsy.

Leave a comment:

• Bob C
    replied

Ditto. It's still too cold in CT. to cook outside. Spring is coming>

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Funny part.. I cooked mine in my regular oven last night too!
    Who needs a pizza oven?!?

I really, really can't wait for spring so we can do some serious outdoor cookery!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Looks great!

Funny part.. I cooked mine in my regular oven last night too!

lol

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

One last pic. This is the spinach/artichoke.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Yummy .

We cooked (Chicago Style?) Pan Pizza last night. The weather was ugly and I didn't feel like doing the WFO thing so we cooked them inside @ 350F (sorry, I'm hanging my head in shame, but the pizza was good anyway!).

We did 3 pies. A 10" cheese-only (we have little kids). A 10" spinach/artichoke/onion. The 14" was half Italian sausage/pineapple and half supreme (sausage, pepperoni, bell peppers, mushrooms, onion). Sauce was on top on all three (that worked great).

All the pies were loaded to the brim with cheese. Early on we realized we were not going to have enough Mozz, so we dug out some leftover bags of Monterrey jack and chedder to mix in. These things take a ton of cheese. If you plan on making them, buy double of what you think you'll need .

I pretty much followed Master Dave's advice (posted above). 350grams of dough in the 10" pans and the remaining 500 or so grams in the 14" pan. Rolling the dough worked great.

The conventional oven took about 45-50 minutes to get it all cooked (I think the WFO will be faster). After they were done, I let them sit for 10 minutes to let the cheese "set" a bit. Then we gobbled them up. There was a ton of leftovers so we had more for lunch today.

A cool idea for a big pizza party would be to do the standard pizzas in the WFO while a few Chicago's are cooking inside.

We'll definitely be doing this again.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
    aw, looking at the picture I thought it was a mickey mouse shaped pan...
    Me too!

Let us know how they turn out Ken!

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

aw, looking at the picture I thought it was a mickey mouse shaped pan...

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

Hooray! I can't wait to see the pictures of the finished pizzas. I'm getting really hungry!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

You guys made me hungry. I went to the restaurant supply store here in Louisville today Restaurant supply - new and used restaurant equipment - Dine Company.
    They had 2 or 3 dozen used deep-dish pans (10" & 14") for $4US each. The associate thought they were from a Little Caesar's (Pizza! Pizza!).

I bought one 14" and two 10" pans plus a new "Pan Grabber" for $4.99. All the stuff was under $20. What a deal!

The pans were, uhh... NASTY. Most were still thick with grease and many still had flour and crumbs in them. I picked 3 that had the least number of dents and brought them home. After some very light scrubbing with mild detergent (I didn't want to remove all the seasoning) they look super.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Wow! That sounds really good.

Now I want one of those! I just gotta try a breakfast model.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Sounds good Ken.

I was thinking about it last night.

My pans are 9.5 inches at the bottom.

So you might want to increase the dough to 350 grams or more.
    Or maybe do 3 with different amounts of dough to see which you like best.

Can't wait to see the pics!
    I'm gonna have me a deep dish this weekend~!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Nikki & WLockhart:
    Thanks a bunch for the leads. I saved the link to the PDF posted and I'll check out Pizzamaking.com. Very interesting!

Dave,

YOU DA MAN!!! Thanks for the details. I'm sold and am going to go check out the used deep dish pans I saw a few months back at the restaurant store. I hope they still have them!

When I try this out, I'll add on to this thread with some some pics and details.

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

Sounds good guys....need some pics of those deep ones!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

BTW- I just used the standard dough.
    But oil could be added if desired.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X