X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• echopark
    replied
    Re: Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight

I calculate water temperature based on the standard bakers' calculation which for dry yeast (in degrees F) is something like: (target dough temp * 3) - (air temp. + flour temp + friction factor) = water temperature. Where friction factor is about 10-12 for hand mix, as much as 20 for an electric mixer, and target dough temperature is 76?.

for levain doughs, multiply target temp by 4, and add levain temp to the sum that gets subracted.

Leave a comment:

• elecco
    replied

James,

Just wondering...what water temp do you use? Also, you add Active Dry Yeast after the initial mixing of the flour and water. Most recipes I've seen tell you to add the ADY to warm water for about 5 minutes before using it. With your recipe you forego that step but still get good results (I assume yes)?

FYI - just bought a Primavera 60 today and plan on trying your dough recipe next week.

~Ed

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

Wayno
    I believe it is possible to do so but, the yeast is slowed by the cold but the enzymes that develop the flavor you refer to are not daunted by it. Therefore if the dough goes to long you really would not have much flour left and the resulting crust would not have much structure. I would suggest that the dough be used not later than the 3rd day. You could however mix the dough as you suggest and then add it to a fresher dough. You would get the same taste differences and not have the structure issues.
    Best
    Dutch
    Originally posted by wayno1 View Post
    Has anyone tried extending the cold ferment (using Caputo Flour) more than one day? And cooking in the WFO.

I am accustomed to extending 3 or 4 days (bottom shelf of fridge) with my regular Sir Lancelot high gluten flour to develop max flavor in the crust. It really does make a huge difference. You do have to reduce the amount of yeast for these longer cold proofs. I use the Sir Lancelot for baking in my regular oven (550 degrees).

Leave a comment:

• wayno1
    replied

Has anyone tried extending the cold ferment (using Caputo Flour) more than one day? And cooking in the WFO.

I am accustomed to extending 3 or 4 days (bottom shelf of fridge) with my regular Sir Lancelot high gluten flour to develop max flavor in the crust. It really does make a huge difference. You do have to reduce the amount of yeast for these longer cold proofs. I use the Sir Lancelot for baking in my regular oven (550 degrees).
    Last edited by wayno1; 03-02-2010, 07:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• echopark
    replied

I use a natural levain, too. Like tomtom, I got it from someone via a pizza & bread making class. The quality and flavor of the bread & pizza I've made with this far surpass anything that I've ever made with yeast. I highly recommend it.

One of the coolest things about a natural levain is that regardless where it originally came from, eventually, as you use and feed your levain, the yeasts that colonize your levain will be the local cultures found in your region making your bread locally unique!
    Last edited by echopark; 12-22-2009, 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• tomtom
    replied

Just made pizza earlier in the week with a wild starter for the first time. I got the starter from a friend who uses it for bread baking. Wild starters are essentially sourdough cultures. She made hers (or captured the naturally occuring yeast) in her kitchen. Pizza turned out good. Had a slight sourdoughish taste to it. You can buy reliable good cultures, which I will do at some point. Im sure someone here can tell you a good one to buy.
    Tom

LEVAIN: A French term for a natural preferment that is essentially synonymous (in the U.S.) with sourdough. It is a culture of a naturally-occurring (wild) yeast and bacteria that can leaven and flavor a bread or pizza crust. It is refreshed periodically by replacement of a part of the culture by new flour and water, and a portion of the refreshed culture is allowed to ferment and mature (ripen) before incorporating into the final dough. The remainder of the culture is used to begin the next batch of dough. A levain, or "sourdough," can be perpetuated for many years, even centuries for certain highly-stable strains.

Leave a comment:

• DimTex
    replied

Wild yeast starters? What are they, where do you find them?

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

10 per 500, 20 per 1000

Leave a comment:

• maurilein
    replied

Hello,

on this dough recipe, tyou are using 10 g salt.
    On the pdf is nearly the same recipe, but with 20 g Salt.

Which introduction is correct ?

Leave a comment:

• Puy de Dome
    replied

I did a search through those threads but didn't find anything useful (to me).

Anyone else have a link to Dave's pizza making vids, please?

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Or maybe not. This is the right thread, I think. I don't have time to look for it now- but you should be able to find it with this info!

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ough-3332.html

I think this is the one.

Leave a comment:

• Puy de Dome
    replied

Even a rectangle would be great!

Now, have you or anyone a link to a vid I could watch?

Should this description of shaping the base be achieveable using this 'Perfect Pizza' recipe?

I really need to crack this because I'm having a Grand Opening of the oven on 20th June, with about 20 folks arriving for lunch. Am I crazy? Don't answer that.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

hmph. I don't think pizza HAS to be circular. Mine certainly aren't!

Seriously, though, Dave has a video somewhere that shows pretty clearly how to get good results. For me, going skin-side-down on a lightly floured surface, making a little rim around the edge (sort of poke your fingers down and pull toward the center, not the edge), and then pick it up and drape it over your fingers with your hands facing each other. Stretch gently (this is where the caputo really shines, it just sort of melts into shape!) until it's the right thickness, and put it down again. I don't throw mine- I'd end up scraping it off the ceiling.

Leave a comment:

• Puy de Dome
    replied

Ok, thanks.

Now I just have to find out how to make a proper pizza base! All mine are weird stodgy-looking things, miss-shapen, and tears and holes in them. Not even approaching being circular.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X