X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ERASMO
    replied
    Re: Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight

Fig, He used the King Arthur flour. I dont think the flavor was as good as Caputo but the texture was better.

Leave a comment:

• FigliodiMariaeGiovanni
    replied

Originally posted by ERASMO View Post
    I have a question about the Tipo 00 flour dough. I have been following the Forno Bravo Recipe using the Tipo 00. The dough is very nice to work with and the flavor is good but I have not been getting the bubbles rising in the dough when it is placed in the WFO. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try. My father also made a batch of dough this weekend and he used another companies claimed equivalent to the Tipo 00 and when we slid that dough into the WFO it achieved the nice bubble around the edge.

Thanks
    I have had this problem when there wasn't enough hydration. Regardless of the brand of flour. May I ask which brand your father used?

Leave a comment:

• ERASMO
    replied

I have a question about the Tipo 00 flour dough. I have been following the Forno Bravo Recipe using the Tipo 00. The dough is very nice to work with and the flavor is good but I have not been getting the bubbles rising in the dough when it is placed in the WFO. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try. My father also made a batch of dough this weekend and he used another companies claimed equivalent to the Tipo 00 and when we slid that dough into the WFO it achieved the nice bubble around the edge.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• FigliodiMariaeGiovanni
    replied

Originally posted by ERASMO View Post
    James and Fig
    Thanks for the info. I am getting a pound which is the smallest I could purchase. I would be glad to ship you some if you would like. I will never be able to use all that fast enough.
    Just hand out pizza and bread samples to family and friends. Then get to making dough! They will all yell, "Ancora, Ancora" Soon all of the yeast will be used up.

Leave a comment:

• ERASMO
    replied

James and Fig
    Thanks for the info. I am getting a pound which is the smallest I could purchase. I would be glad to ship you some if you would like. I will never be able to use all that fast enough.

Leave a comment:

• FigliodiMariaeGiovanni
    replied

Originally posted by james View Post
    I think it lasts about a week, and then it goes moldy. Fresh is all they have in Italy, and came to like it. I'm not sure about freezing.

Any takers on that?
    James
    I have used the 'brewer's yeast' and I do like the aroma a lot. I have a big bag of RedSTAr granulated in a ziplock in the fridge, and just dissolve in warm water to get that ferment aroma happening.
    I have found that 'brewer's yeast' does freeze pretty well, but not more than a month. I think that a week or so in the fridge probably would be fine. THAT's a whole lot of yeast to use in a week unless you're using commercially?
    Last edited by FigliodiMariaeGiovanni; 10-29-2008, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

I think it lasts about a week, and then it goes moldy. Fresh is all they have in Italy, and came to like it. I'm not sure about freezing.

Any takers on that?
    James

Leave a comment:

• ERASMO
    replied

I have found the fresh yeast at a local bakery. Does any one know how long it lasts? I heard you can freeze it.

Leave a comment:

• ERASMO
    replied

I am having a hard time finding the active fresh yeast. Does anyone know a conversion from active fresh to dry yeast?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• brokencookie
    replied

Just wanted to jump in with praise for using weight recipes. I recently was tearing out my hair. I could not figure out why my pizzas were so thin and small. James has reported using 275 gram dough balls for 11 inch pizzas. I was using 300 grams and ending up with a credit card thin 9 inch. Everything was great except for the small amount of dough. After a few weeks of frustration I realized that I had my scale set on a funky unit. When I set the scale back to grams I found that I was actually using about 40% of the ingredients I should have used.
    So why am I praising using weight ? Because, even thought I screwed up.. the recipe still worked !! The units become unimportant as long as the percentages stay the same. Using the recipe by weight allowed me to continue to enjoy excellent pizza while I figured out the problem.

Leave a comment:

• FigliodiMariaeGiovanni
    replied

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
    TDI,

Quick answer: you're doing it the correct Neopolitan way. The result is a creamy crust with good crunch at the cornice. The other guys are doing it the North American way, developed because they're using harder flour. The result is a dense, cracker crust that lacks personality. That's why N Am pizzas are heaped with toppings, to make up for a sub-par crust. The rolling pin guarantees a tough crust, no matter how well shaped. They use a docking wheel so the pizza does not develop a large bubble in the centre. With such a tough crust, it's almost a certainty unless one is used.

Just keep doing what your doing. Who cares about perfect shape? Your looking for perfect taste.

Jim
    All of this time I was fretting about roundness [the pizza I mean]

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

TDI,

Quick answer: you're doing it the correct Neopolitan way. The result is a creamy crust with good crunch at the cornice. The other guys are doing it the North American way, developed because they're using harder flour. The result is a dense, cracker crust that lacks personality. That's why N Am pizzas are heaped with toppings, to make up for a sub-par crust. The rolling pin guarantees a tough crust, no matter how well shaped. They use a docking wheel so the pizza does not develop a large bubble in the centre. With such a tough crust, it's almost a certainty unless one is used.

Just keep doing what your doing. Who cares about perfect shape? Your looking for perfect taste.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Momo
    replied

I can at least answer the rolling spiky thing... that's called "docking" the dough and it puts small pin holes in the dough to prevent huge bubbles from forming in the crust. About the rolling pin, I have never done it, but I believe you can roll to an extent... like, out close to the edge of the dough but do not roll completely off the edge or you will push out the gas bubbles. If a cracker-like crust is desired, then I guess rolling would be okay.

Leave a comment:

• tdibratt
    replied

Hi folks I have been using the FB Caputo recipe for making pizza for the last 2 weeks using Devela Tipo 00 and/or Molino Pizzuti Pizza flour. My experiences with both have been similar. I use fresh yeast from a local bakery so instead of 3 gr of active yeast I have been using 8 gr of fresh.

The dough rises, I punch it down and carve it up into 4 pieces and then stretch and fold each one. Place it in a proofing container and 1.5 hours later they have grown to a soft elasticy blob of dough stuck to one another.

I then proceed to take each one on a floured top and flatten and ty to get a close to a circle as possible. It cooks well and is pretty thin. Unlike when I use bread flour I can actually get this to a thin crust by stretching it ans it stays pretty good. When I use bread flour it has a tendency to want to go back to it's non stretched state.

Here's my question. How come when I see videos or even watch the local pizza guy make a pizza, the balls of dough seem more dense, not as fluffy and can actually be rolled with a pin and flattened perfectly? Am I using the wrong flour, too much yeast, too much water? Or is it that they keep theirs in the fridge till it's time to use it?

I was in Niagara Falls this past weekend and wood oven pizza's seem popular. I had one at one restaurant where they actually roll the dough with a pin. The then run this roller over the pizza which looks like little spikes on it putting very tiny holes in the dough. Then then pre-cook this so it retain's it's shape, take it out of the oven, add the toppings and then in it goes for final cooking. Different method but again their dough was perfect balls before they rolled it out.

Thx

Leave a comment:

• mmmhumous
    replied

Just tried Jame's dough recipe (though only used ~1-2g salt). worked great, lots of elasticity and the dough was really easy to handle too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X