Then my dough was undercooked.
    so you target 750-800 for oven floor?
    how do you maintain that range?
    Any other tips?
    I do use an infrared temp gun.
    thank you!

Comment

Re: Crispy Pizza bottom

When the carbon on the top of the dome burns off I rake the fire over to the left side, brush off the floor and wait till the floor cools to approx 650. I have been doing that and the pizza takes a little longer but the dough cooks through and crisps up without the toppings becoming over done. The difference between cooking a pizza for 90 secs and 2.5 - 3 mins is huge. OH and I am not using a high gluten flour just all purpose and the crust is outstanding.

Comment

I use 1/5 semolina, and it gives great tooth to the dough and a nice crispy crust:

4 cups Bread flour or All Trumps bromated
        1 cup semolina flour
        3 cups water (+/-)
        2 tsp salt
        1tsp IDY

Hand mixed for a couple of minutes, then left to rise at 60-80 degrees for an hour or two in bulk. Then 7 stretch and folds, divided and balled into Tupperware and into the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours out to a couple weeks. I use them straight from the fridge. That will make 4-280 gram dough balls which I usually make into 14" pizzas.

Comment

Hi,
          I make the dough 2 days in advance, put immediately in the refrig in bulk, take out dough 2 days later, make balls, proof for 2 hours at room temp in the morning & make the pizza's in the afternoon. how does this sound?
          Also, sometimes my dough has flatten out when I take it out of the refrig to make the balls.
          Does that mean that I am using tooo much water or the wrong amount of instant yeast?
          thanks

Comment

sorry, the dough flattens out after I make the balls & so they lose their ball shape.
            As a reult the dough is difficult to work with, thins out, & tears easily.

Comment

I think you should not do the cold ferment in bulk, as that is when the gluten is being developed. Ball before refrigeration and I bet the issue goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                I use 1/5 semolina, and it gives great tooth to the dough and a nice crispy crust:

4 cups Bread flour or All Trumps bromated
                1 cup semolina flour
                3 cups water (+/-)
                2 tsp salt
                1tsp IDY

Hand mixed for a couple of minutes, then left to rise at 60-80 degrees for an hour or two in bulk. Then 7 stretch and folds, divided and balled into Tupperware and into the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours out to a couple weeks. I use them straight from the fridge. That will make 4-280 gram dough balls which I usually make into 14" pizzas.

Thanks for this info. Im sure ill try this out.
                Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Just be sure to note the +/- on the water. I like it to be at 65-70% hydration, which is very hard to work with initially. I normally start with 2 cups then add small amounts until it gets to where I want it, which looks like cottage cheese. Depending upon your flour, 2 to 2-1/2 cups will probably be plenty.

Comment

Thank you.
                    For clarification, I use fresh local type 00 flour. it's 67% hydration which seem reasonable.
                    So as was said, I should make the dough, let sit out for an hour or 2 in bulk, make balls, & then refrigerate, correct?

Comment

how long do you let the dough rest between S&F's Tscar?
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

well currently, I make the dough on a thursday, put the dough in the refrig in bulk, Saturday morning I make the dough balls, let sit out at room temp to proof for 2 hours, place dough balls in refrig, Saturday evening I make the pizza's

Comment

Yeah, I don't like to cold ferment in bulk, I think it works better to let it double in bulk at room temp, then knock it down and ball it for the fridge. No rest between stretch and folds.

Comment

Here was a very crispy crust I baked tonight. It was an emergency dough, bulked for 2 hours at 78 degrees, then balled for 3 also at 78ish degrees.

Comment

Tscar,

THAT is the crust I am wanting! I have been using KA All Pupose flour, with a 65% hydration recipe. The floor of my Firerock WFO is 750 +
                              I have had issues with the crust burning. What was the floor Temp of your oven when you baked this awesome looking pie?

Comment

The floor was about 650, the walls 750.

Comment

Working...
                                X