Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I stop my pizza dough balls from spreading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I stop my pizza dough balls from spreading?

I have followed the pizza dough recipes and instructions but have a problem with my individual pizza dough balls "spreading" instead of staying in a ball shape. Could this be due to the the yeast that I'm using? I'm using Fleishmann's yeast for Bread Machines. Or is there another reason? Would really like some advice.

Re: How can I stop my pizza dough balls from spreading?

Drop the hydration. When you get it low enough the balls won't spread. You didn't give enough information to give you much more of an answer.

Comment

Thanks Texas - I have the same problem. I follow the FB recommendations to a tee. Would that also explain why the dough is like a rubber band? I stretch it out and it tries to go back. Weird shapes taste pretty good.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Why is it a problem when the balls spread? Rubber=too much kneading 90% of the time.

Comment

I found that if I left the balls on the bench at room temp, they tended to do this, but when I place them in the fridge for a few hours then let them come back to room temp they stay in the ball shape. Give it a try and see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by scottz View Post
            I found that if I left the balls on the bench at room temp, they tended to do this, but when I place them in the fridge for a few hours then let them come back to room temp they stay in the ball shape.
            Sounds painful.......
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The hydration amount suggested (I use 64) does make a ball that will spread out rather than stay in the sort of ball shape you see in pizzerias. They use low hydration dough because they bake low and slow, and the stiff dough is easier to handle by unskilled workers. Using individual plastic containers will contain your wetter dough ball.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                Using individual plastic containers will contain your wetter dough ball.
                Zip lock sandwich bags are good for this...
                -------------------------------------------
                My 2nd Build:
                Is here

Comment

Island Girl, I bought a whole bunch of glad plastic containers. Easy to store in fridge. Take them out at least 1 hour before using. I get all my ingredients to room temp before building pizza's. The containers also stack well when not using them. 3 cup/ 24 oz. containers work perfect for the 225g to 250g balls I make.

Comment

Lower hydration and less yeast should make the dough firmer.
                    / Rossco

Comment

If using James' recipe, you are at approx 65% hydration. If you drop (like previously mentioned) to 60%, you will not have the issue. Also, let the dough balls (yes brickie) out to get a skin on them, that will help as well. Also, I have learned from Master Jedi Peter that using flour when handling the dough is OK! See Bread Bakers Apprentice and many of the You tube videos out there! If too rubbery and you did not mix too long, allow the dough to rest longer (the gluten will relax) and that is usually my problem as my ankle biters are always nagging me to hurry up with the dough.
                      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
                        Zip lock sandwich bags are good for this...
                        I worked at a small pizza shop where every dough ball was stored in the fridge in its own zip bag. The Pizza was quite good. I have often wondered if the environment in the bag is conducive to delicious dough development.

Comment

nothing wrong with dough balls spreading some. just part of working with wet dough. balls are going to spread especially if left for 2-3 days in your refir. Just take them out of refir a couple of hours before you need them and don't worry about it. If it is good dough you should not have a problem...rock dude

Comment

Working...
                          X