Pizza size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza size

I've been re-reading American Pie lately. I originally purchased the book in search of the perfect dough recipe. To be perfectly honest, I purchased a LOT of books in search of the perfect crust (thank you, Amazon) a few years back.

What I found was an unending number of opinions what was considered the way a pizza was supposed to be like (Note: I didn't say taste, feel, or anything remotely like what most aficionados would consider when judging pizza).

I grew up in the Chicago area, but I'm not a big fan of deep dish. I also spent 20 years in the US Navy, much of which was spent in places around the Mediterranean Sea, including Naples. That said, it pains me me to admit that I wasn't aware of the history around me at the time.

Okay, no more asides. Here's my query: How big is a pizza from a 6 oz dough ball? Is this just a really small personal pizza? I've pored through the book, but there's really no mention about how big you stretch out that little dough ball for a pie to compare to Bianco. What am I looking for?

I love doing simple sauce. Is it okay to barely cook canned San Marzano tomatoes with a little olive oil and garlic for sauce?

Re: Pizza size

BillybobT,

Thanks for visiting the site. I will pass this question on to Peter. Regarding sauce, I use tomatoes right out of the can on my pizzas all the time. In fact, one of my favorite sauces was with Chris Bianco and Rob DiNapoli's "Bianco DiNapoli Tomatoes". I had gotten a #10 can of them from Rob and thought I'd make up a batch of pizzas to showcase them. I simply crushed the tomatoes in my hands and put them on the pizzas. It was amazing. My son said this was his favorite sauce I've ever "made".

Here's a link to the first pizza - my home version of Tony Gemigniani's Coney Island Pizza:
    Tony Gemignani's Coney Island Pizza

Comment

I use 8-9 oz. balls. We stretch them out to approx. 10 inches because I like a thicker crust. There are a zillion different opinions when it comes to pizza so I don't think you will ever find an answer, it's going to be your preference.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Everyone will be different, we had a pizzafest yesterday and the guests made their own, the pizzas ranged from really thin crust to nice plump crusts all done on 10" pans.
        Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-28-2012, 09:53 PM.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I like uncooked sauce as well,

Tomatoes
          Oil
          Garlic
          Salt
          Oregano

Some traditional places are very strict with their sauce, and simply straining a can of tomatoes is enough. They tend to drizzle oil onto their pies and then toss a bit of oregano down. I think you can get a bit more control of the taste by creating a simple sauce. Although you would lose some of the uniqueness of each pie...

Pizza size is of course entirely up to you.

Comment

I use straight passatta/sugo for sauce... no additives except salt.
            It gives the pizza a fresh taste.
            I do use dried oregano as the only herb.

Depending on the types of pizzas, the toppings may include garlic or basil, but the sauce never does.

Comment

My pizzas are 230-280 grams (8-10 oz.) spread thin by hand (NO wire hangers.....I mean NO rolling pins! )

I'm surprised at how many of you like the uncooked tomato sauce. I'm in the same boat. Spread thinly, it cooks up just enough in the 2 minutes it's in the WFO. I also like the bit of dry oregano to accent the fresh tomato.

I'm doing pizzas tonight and will actually measure the diameter, I've never done that before
              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post

I'm doing pizzas tonight and will actually measure the diameter, I've never done that before
                I want pictures with a ruler
                I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

Maybe we should have a poll about cooked vs uncooked sauce. I would suggest fresh oregano. I have a patch in my yard specifically for sauce.

Comment

I have to redo some stuff in my "garden". I am definitely going to dedicate an area for some of the basics. You got me very interested in getting some Oregano going back there again.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish Wheels View Post
                      I want pictures with a ruler
                      Sorry Fish Wheels, I measured (much to the surprise of my visiting guests as I yelled "hold it" ran in the house, got the tape and laid it across a sausage pizza I just removed and was about to cut) and it was 10". They would never have waited for me to get the camera .

I HAVE fresh oregano in my garden and didn't even think to use it! Next time, I'll do it for sure. I also made last week Shrimp-Pesto-Red Onion-Parma pizza that in hind-site, is begging for the "fresh" oregano. The fresh stuff is sweeter than the dried, quite tasty and perfect in summer salads or olive-oil based cold potato salads as well. (you know, boiled potatoes, EVO, lemon, green onions and dill...with fresh oregano kind of thing)

And remember Wotavidone: Early winter, when your basil has turned woody and ready to pull out: save the hard-wood twigs b/c they have the sweetest, most pleasant smoke added to smokers or just any bbq or wfo.

-Dino
                      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
                        My wife informs me that her basil has come along enough that I am to use fresh basil on the pizzas this week.
                        I didn't ask if she had oregano growing. I've been making do with the dried herbs, but fresh will be better I'm sure.
                        One of the reasons we go for the uncooked sauce is for the moisture - we like a bit of runny sauce left in amongst all the other ingredients.
                        Personally I think dry oregano is better than fresh.
                        Dried home-grown is 100x better than store bought too

Comment

the pizza places i worked at for a 12 inch (30 cm) pizza the amount of dough varied from 120 grams to 550 g the dough will go further if you give it more time to rise.

the base is cheap and filling so perhaps it depends on what you are out to achieve.

Comment

Working...
                          X