• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• azpizzanut
    replied
    Re: Eggs in pizza dough?

Hello jimmylorenzetti,

Look here for an answer to your question: What is the difference between the pizza dough with eggs and the one without? - Yahoo! Answers

In addition, egg yolks often impart a golden color to doughs. You might use whole egg, just the whites or just yolk in your dough to give it a character you like. Yolks are "oily" so you will note a softer dough. Too much egg in a dough will change the texture and flavor to something you might not like. However, egg doughs are sometimes described as "rich" and you could certainly develop your own rich pizza dough to pair with complimentary toppings. I think a rich dough with pesto and dried tomato topping would be an example.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

I see you may already learned about this from someone who knows a helluva lot more than me. For everyone else....

If the weight of eggs is small in relation to the weight of flour, there may not be a major effect on the final product. You can read about the effects of eggs on baked goods in the article on emulsifiers at Bakingbusiness.com Article: Emulsifiers.

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

There are others who are more qualified to answer, but 00 dough is more for higher temps than regular deck ovens. You'll have to define what 'quality' means to you? On a WFO site, I would say it has to do with some charring and leoparding along with a nice crust. You should get more specific about what you're looking for, then possibly check on websites that deal more with pizzamaking than WFO making. I think both of the sites have some crossover, but if you're serious about either, the respective sites answers specifics better.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Never heard of eggs in dough, the other thing too, a lot of people are allergic to egg and wouldnt think there was egg in the dough and therefore think it safe to eat.

My wife works with children and its a big problem, youre very lucky no one has suffered from Anaphylactic shock due to the egg.

Food allergy - PubMed Health

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

never heard of putting eggs in pizza dough.
    I've never used a deck oven, my experience with Caputo in my electric oven (on a stone or in a pan) at 500 F (max for the oven) has been less than fantastic, it just does not brown or slightly char the way I would like. In the WFO oven, its a different story, the Caputo handles the 800 F much better than the bread flour and AP flours I have tried.

To be totally honest, I don't experiment very much any more. I did too much tinkering when I first built my oven, I've finally found what works for me, whether in the WFO or in the electric.

RT

Leave a comment:

• jimmylorenzetti
    started a topic Eggs in pizza dough?

Eggs in pizza dough?

First: What do the eggs do in a pizza dough?

Second: If using Caputo 00 flour would it be best cooked in WFO or can I cook the pizza in a regular Blodget deck oven at 525 to 550 DF and achieve the same quality without the smokey flavor?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Working...
X